Frequent Contributor

Re: Bought the KA 100 Anniversary Artisan mixer (misty blue.)

@Carmie wrote:

Congratulations on your new mixer.  I saw the 100th anniversary model at Sams's Club. It is a beauty.

i almost wish I needed a new one.  Mine is probably getting close to 40 years old and is an almond color.  There were only two colors to choose from back the..almond and white.

Mine  still works like brand new and I use it often and give it a workout.  I hope your new one  lasts as long as mine.

I have purchased two hand held KA mixers and hate them both. A 5 speed in blue and 9 speed in yellow.  They have no power.  I put one in each of my RV's and use a $10 twenty year year old hand mixer in my home for small jobs.  

I have a KA 6 qt stand mixer and it is wonderful. I agree about the hand mixers. I have a 20 some year old cuisinart hand mixer and a couple of years ago I thought I would get a bright orange 9 speed KA hand mixer to replace it. I did not like it - as you said, no power. I returned it and keep using my old one. It still works fine - the cord was getting a little worn but it is hanging in.

Honored Contributor

Forgot to mention, even though I didn't buy it from the Q, I watched the Q video.  I would disagree with the vendor who describes the color as a light blue with a touch of green.  (I actually would have liked that.)  It is really a light blue with a touch of grey (which I also like.)

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

You sound like me, @faeriemoon, "agonizing over colors".  It's an important decision!  Sounds like serendipity, though, seeing it again in person and knowing it was the right one.

Enjoy the new mixer.  I don't have one but I just don't bake much.  I do cook a lot and I do enjoy kitchen stuff.  I've spent the last day or two playing with dishware and accessories as I phase out the Christmas "look".

@Sweetbay magnolia  Sometimes I love to "play" in my kitchen too.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie, I know how you feel, my KA mixer is also 40 yrs old and still going strong.  I owned a small diner and it made dozens and dozens of rolls and loaves of bread for many years and just keeps going strong.  I purchased it from my Spiegel catalog in white.  I am so tempted by all the new beautiful colos the mixer comes in now, but I bet the new ones will never compare to my "old faithful" mixer.

Respected Contributor

@CarmieYour 40 year old KA mixer is from a time when all KA mixers were made in the USA.  As far as I can tell from the KA website, none of today's KA mixers are even assembled in the USA, much less made in the USA.  The same probably goes for your 20 year old hand mixer.  It's just sad.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon I saw this KA yesterday at Costco and for $259 or $269, this was a bargain.  I believe the standard 6 qt was $10 less.  I have a KA stand mixer so I had to pass.  Have fun with your new "toy." 

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker  Yes!!  It was $259 I believe, and the lift bowl was on a real clearance and was about the same price.  I know some love the lift bowl, but I just don't care for it.  For anyone who is interested, if you have been wanting a KA Lift bowl, Costco is your place (until they're gone.)  I think they were originally offered in red, black, silver/grey matte and maybe white.  My Costco had only red left.

Regular Contributor

I've wanted the one with the ceramic hobnail bowl on Williams Sonoma for months. But then, it's got some bad reviews re quality control. Not sure if I should bit the bullet but it's so beautiful!!

I have the apple green one that my sister and brother got me for a college graduation gift and it works perfectly. Not sure I can justify getting a new one, unless I have my kitchen remodeled.

Trusted Contributor

I’ve been thinking of getting a stand mixer.

Do you prefer a tilt back or bowl lift KA?  

Are they still made in the U.S.A.?

Hung 

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

I’ve been thinking of getting a stand mixer.

Do you prefer a tilt back or bowl lift KA?  

Are they still made in the U.S.A.?

Hung 

@EatWell  If you make breads and big batches, get the lift bowl.  No comparison to me and I've had 2 lift bowls and 2 tilt heads.

For a few cookes, a cake, small batches, the tilt head is fine.  Also, the tilt backs have to be pulled out farther from the backsplach because of the height of the heat when tilted, so factor that in.

If I had to choose?  Lift bowl wins every time with me. I think the tilt head bowl is harder to fit in the base and can get jammed in really tight if it is mis aligned.  Also over the years I had two fly out of the base when not properly aligned.