Respected Contributor

Borden EGG Nog in the can question

Does anybody know if they still make this? If they do, where can I find it? I used to buy a few cans and squirrel them away for French toast and ice cream. My husband bought some for me in a carton, but it has an expiration date and can't be stored. Thanks for any information, Poodlepet2
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Borden EGG Nog in the can question

Respected Contributor

Thanks Zhills! How was your visit with the Gasparilla ""pirates"" ? Poodlepet2
Esteemed Contributor

Our visit was delightful. We have been BFFs since the 8th grade. I sing and she plays piano just like we did in High School 60 years later!

Regular Contributor

I would check Vermont Country Store. I believe my local grocery store still carries this but I know Vermont Country Store tends to carry items that are difficult to find in stores.
Honored Contributor

Poodlepet - we are considering going to Fisherman's Villiage on NYE - first a boat tour of the harbor and to see the super nice homes along the water's Christmas decorations then back to FV for dinner and to enjoy the festivities. Have you ever gone?

Sorry everyone to change the topic .

Trusted Contributor

Oh my goodness........I am about to make some people just cringe with what I am about to say........{#emotions_dlg.crying} Today's egg nog, is so pasturized, that it will just last a long time........and the same with heavy cream........Egg Nog that I bought in November has a 2/1/15 expiration date......I have kept it for many months, after the expiration date, and as long as the pour seal has not been broken, taste the same as if it was just bought......I tested myself, just to see how long different dairy products will stay usable/drinkable, and I used some heavy cream, never opened, that was over 8 months past the expiration date, and was told the item that I made was the best ever.........{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Go figure.......I never pay attention to sell by dates, as they are just a number, and have tried and true results of this........I personally do not care for the Borden canned Egg Nog, but that is me personally, as I do know many who do, and being from the Columbus, GA area, that used to be almost all you could get, but they are now gone, and will only occasionally see it available....

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

Happy, those sound like fun plans, but if you are thinking about The Captain's Table, they may already be booked up. Personally, I like The Village Fish Market better, but our absolute favorite is The Perfect Caper. IF the Caper is open, you need to check now. All that being said, there is a heavy amount of drinking that goes on, and all the festivities take place at Harpoon Harry's and it just gets too crazy for my taste. The past few years we've had dense fog roll in, and we didn't hear so much as a frog croak. We can see and hear FV fireworks from our house- it's been a wash out. The idea of being on the road with inebriated drivers in dense fog does not appeal....if you can rent one of the villas, that may be a better idea. Seriously, I think a better-and safer idea is Fort Myers Beach. You can walk any where, and there is free transportation. For whatever reason, they haven't had the fog issues we have had here. Poodlepet2
Respected Contributor

Happy, those sound like fun plans, but if you are thinking about The Captain's Table, they may already be booked up. Personally, I like The Village Fish Market better, but our absolute favorite is The Perfect Caper. IF the Caper is open, you need to check now. All that being said, there is a heavy amount of drinking that goes on, and all the festivities take place at Harpoon Harry's and it just gets too crazy for my taste. The past few years we've had dense fog roll in, and we didn't hear so much as a frog croak. We can see and hear FV fireworks from our house- it's been a wash out. The idea of being on the road with inebriated drivers in dense fog does not appeal....if you can rent one of the villas, that may be a better idea. Seriously, I think a better-and safer idea is Fort Myers Beach. You can walk any where, and there is free transportation. For whatever reason, they haven't had the fog issues we have had here. Poodlepet2
Respected Contributor

Forrest this past year, I have seen a number of news shows that discussed expiration dates. It was brought up time and time again that with canned goods, assigned expiration dates are somewhat arbitrary and there is no real science behind it. I don't know if the company is going forward with it, but earlier this year, Trader Joe's announced it was going to open up a chain of grocery stores that would sell expired items at steeply discounted rates. No, they would not be selling rotten milk or spoiled dairy, but the idea is, just because a food item is one day past the expiration date-such as canned pineapple- should it be destroyed? Couldn't it be used, instead? I don't know if Trader Joe's is proceeding with the idea, but I don't think it's a bad one.... Poodlepet2