Honored Contributor

Re: Boiled Eggs: Want to Know the Science?

@Sooner @roster @kaydee50 @sunshine45 @Imaoldhippie 

Ladies, I found this video which went into more detail on the boiling of eggs to all levels of doneness.  This is the way I did demos in my Food Science classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CnAQzEiuvQ

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  Thanks for the video.  Pretty much how I make hard boiled eggs but good to know about the different times for soft boiled.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

The only "science" I ever knew about hard-boiled eggs was from my Mom, who insisted that fresh hard-boiled eggs were harder to peel. If she was going to use hard-boiled eggs for, like a potato salad or deviled eggs, she always bought them a week ahead of time.

I always steam mine in Henrietta, and they always come out perfect and are a snap to peel. (No need to adhere to my Mom's wisdom.) For a single or a whole tray full, about 13 min.

My grandchildren call their Henrietta, Henrietta Chickaletta. These are the steamers that look like a chicken.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've come to the conclusion that the term "hard-boiled" is what makes many people have trouble with cooking and peeling eggs.

I have done the hard-boiled thing MANY times.  I've done the steaming thing many times., which works nicely.

Now I just get the water to a simmering point and keep  low like that for a while, then cut off heat, let eggs sit in hot water and then rinse or dunk with cold water.

I no longer have the dark sulfur ring around the  yolks, the white part isn't tough, and the eggs are easy to peel, 99 percent of the time.

If we would just rid "hard-boiled" from our vocabulary  and substitute "gently cooked", I think that would be a good step toward better eggs!!   

Honored Contributor

@Sooner ................just finished steaming eggs.  Rinsed them with cold water so I could handle them and the shell practically fell off.  Im a happy camper.  Thanks to you and your hubby for the steam method advise.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie I am happy the steaming worked!  One of the best things about it is not having all that water to deal with if you boil a big pot of eggs!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been using an instapot pressure cooker for probably years now to make hard boiled eggs to make deviled eggs.  I cook 6 at a time, not sure if more would make any difference though in the instapot.  Set the eggs on some kind of rack inside the instapot (above water).  Pressure cook on high pressure for 6 minutes, give it a natural release for 5 minutes, then do the quick release.  I dunk them in a big bowl of tap cold water for a few minutes after.  I don't waste my ice on it, just tap cold.  They peel easily and are cooked perfectly (no green rings inside).

Honored Contributor

In the scope of life, yes, it really is a small thing, but isn't it wonderful not to have to fight to peel an egg again?  You can get hard boiled eggs without going through a carton of them to get a nice one?  

Shell comes off, no green ring, no sulphur taste and smell?  A small victory but a nice one!  Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I make a dozen at a time in my 6qt Instant Pot. 5 min pressure cook, 5 min natural pressure release, then dunk in a bowl of cold water.. They peel super easy, taste great, and no discoloration.