Blueberry Mold or normal inside of blueberry or something else?

[ Edited ]

I recently bought blueberries and after giving them a vinegar bath (for those not familiar its wa way of cleaning before storing), I noticed one enlarged one had a jelled like substance inside.  DOes anyone know what this is?  Its on a granite counter so ignore the black specs, that s just the counter pattern - but you can see inside, the yelow , yuk.  Or is that just nortmal inside of blueberry, lol? blueberrynasty.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Blueberry Mold or normal inside of blueberry or something else?

[ Edited ]

I Googled center of blueberry & clicked on Images & this came up.

Looks the same but a more solid center.

Who Knew? Never looked at the center of a blueberry.

Does it look more like the pic right out of the refrigerator?

blueberries-with-one-sliced-through-the-center-to-show-seeds.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a similar issue with grapes that I bought and it sure looked like mold to me so I didnt eat them.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Mold can't happen on the inside of a berry without happening on the outside first and then penetrating.  The outer skin on your picture seems normal.  IMO, it looks like you got an overly ripened blueberry that's gone bad.  Anything like that should be discarded. 

As for your vinegar wash, I'm assuming that was for refrigerator storage of your berries?  I live in blueberry country and all the growers around here advise against washing/rinsing them at all prior to freezing.  Washing beforehand will remove the natural protective coating (that cloudy white stuff) and will cause the skin to be tough when you thaw them. The best method for freezing is to put the freshly picked unwashed berries in a single layer on a jellyroll pan.  Freeze them on the pan and then move them to a ziploc bag.  When you're ready to use them, remove what you want from the bag, place them in a collander.  Rinse and allow them to thaw before adding them to your recipe.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  As another who lives in blueberry country, I couldn't agree more with your post. None of the farmers I pick fruit from wash or treat the blueberries before freezing and storing.  We have been using the freezing method you posted for years. Works well for other fruits also. Freeze in a single layer, bag it/Food Saver it  and then take out only what you need. No frozen lumps of fruit. Great advice!

Esteemed Contributor

I also agree wholeheartedly with all that @JeanLouiseFinch shared on this subject! @jmsatl - I think you just encountered an overripe blueberry; in my experience, they don't have the most pleasant texture, especially if eaten on their own, but I've never gotten sick or had any issues from consuming them, so I wouldn't worry too much. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Mold can't happen on the inside of a berry without happening on the outside first and then penetrating.  The outer skin on your picture seems normal.  IMO, it looks like you got an overly ripened blueberry that's gone bad.  Anything like that should be discarded. 

As for your vinegar wash, I'm assuming that was for refrigerator storage of your berries?  I live in blueberry country and all the growers around here advise against washing/rinsing them at all prior to freezing.  Washing beforehand will remove the natural protective coating (that cloudy white stuff) and will cause the skin to be tough when you thaw them. The best method for freezing is to put the freshly picked unwashed berries in a single layer on a jellyroll pan.  Freeze them on the pan and then move them to a ziploc bag.  When you're ready to use them, remove what you want from the bag, place them in a collander.  Rinse and allow them to thaw before adding them to your recipe.

Thank You for all this very valuable information!

I am not in the practice of washing for the purpose of refrigerator storage (fruits/berries), as I know to store them DRY.  But I didn't know about the 'natural protective coating' part.  That is very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

I've been keeping my produce completely dry for storing for a long time and I actually, also, use those E.G.G. things with my fruits/berries/etc and that really extends their life.

I first saw them with Lori G, here on QVC, many years ago as one of her 'inventions' (not!) but went to the actual source and have been buying them, and the refills, from him all these years.

Actually, the reason that I initially searched him out was for a really silly reason - hers were all blue and I wanted red.   But anyway, he runs the refills on deals every now and then so I always have a good supply of the refill packets for the several E.G.G. units that I have.