Respected Contributor

Re: Big ol' Le Creuset dutch oven

A year or so ago, I bought a Cook's Companion 9 qt. Cast Aluminum Oval Proaster when it was on sale from evine & I just love that thing.  I never thought I'd use that large of a vessel, but I use it more than I thought I would have for soups, stews, roasts, etc. & it's not so heavy when filled with food like cast iron would be & it has ceramic non-stick.  I have several pieces of LC, but I seldom use them, due to being heavy even empty & when I add food, forget it!  My proaster is the Cooper color,which is sold out right now

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

Well for those who like to life weights, there is a Le Creuset  Signature 15.5 quart dutch oven over on BB&B. It's about $675!

For that price, it better set the table, cook dinner and do the dishes.  

@CAcableGirl2

I agree, but I would add that at that price, it should provide me with some champagne and strawberries after dinner and some evening 'entertainment', if you get my drift, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I have a 8 qt. and I can't lift it anymore (even with NO food in it!).  I am going to sell at our community yard sale - used 1x. I get the most use out of my Rachael Ray oval stockpot & my other lightweight pieces. 

I also am selling all my other LeCrueset pieces -

I ordered the Curtis Stone TS from yesterday which is light weight also.  The Braiser I got from Q is great but its heavy too!

Honored Contributor

Takes Hoss Cartwright or a front end loader to lift those things.

That line at Jc Penny's is a horror too. Can't imagine folks spending good

money to get a gym workout lifting on those metal things

Honored Contributor

I have on small dutch oven that I think I will use to plant something in on my deck. Too flipping heavy. I'd be afraid I'd drop an 8 qt and crack my foot or anything I dropped it on-----

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

A year or so ago, I bought a Cook's Companion 9 qt. Cast Aluminum Oval Proaster when it was on sale from evine & I just love that thing.  I never thought I'd use that large of a vessel, but I use it more than I thought I would have for soups, stews, roasts, etc. & it's not so heavy when filled with food like cast iron would be & it has ceramic non-stick.  

I have the 5 qt cast aluminum dutch oven ant it is my "go to" pot!  I also have the skillet and 8" fry pan to match.  I seldom use my SS anymore.

Honored Contributor

I'm in market for a 3 qt now. Have to check out some stores pretty soon