Occasional Contributor

It is so funny to see this trend with ""The Big Green"" egg which are really known as Kamado's. My father brought three home from Japan in the 1960's. However our big green was red. My father brought two little green ones home for my sister and I. He understood that they were also used to heat the homes in Japan during the winter. My father is gone now and we continue to love cooking on the big one nearly 50 years later. Just be careful....they do cook fast!! One time my Dad was cooking hamburgers on it and the heat was so intense they came out looking like cookies! Have fun and enjoy your ""Big Green""!!!

Frequent Contributor

You've really convinced me now. I'm off to San Antonio tomorrow to see about becoming an ""egghead"". Thanks for all the replies. Wonder what's going to happen to my Masterbuilt Smoker that I really love????? It might become an orphan.

Honored Contributor
On 5/13/2014 Dale said:

You've really convinced me now. I'm off to San Antonio tomorrow to see about becoming an "egghead". Thanks for all the replies. Wonder what's going to happen to my Masterbuilt Smoker that I really love????? It might become an orphan.

Did you get one? Can't wait to hear what you are cooking if you did! Your electric smoker will probably still be used when you are really busy and don't even want to fire up anything, or maybe for a few chickens or something that you want to more lightly smoke.

To me, the egg is worth it for the steaks it cooks! OH my goodness!!!

Frequent Contributor

The dealer was out of the small egg and the large was way to big for just the two of us. But, the real killer was the thing weighs 350 pounds!!!! When the small one comes in stock I'll probably bite the bullet and pay for the delivery and set up. Will re-post comments then.

Trusted Contributor

Dale, read some egg reviews on Amazon. Then, check out the PK grill/smoker.

http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoalgrillreviews/gr/Portable-Kitchen-Cast-Aluminum-Grill.htm

I have the PK. It is a cast aluminum charcoal grill/smoker/oven. It is made in Arkansas. Built like a tank-it will last forever and it's portable!

Honored Contributor

One thing I will say about the large Egg is that there are more accessories for the large egg than the small. Personally I don't think you can go wrong getting the large. We actually have 2 larges and we're a family of 3. We do the Thanksgiving turkey every year on our egg.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

lacey1, I remember my parents having that grill in the late 50's!!!! They loved it. Can't believe it's still around. Thanks for the link....

Honored Contributor
On 5/16/2014 jaxs mom said:

One thing I will say about the large Egg is that there are more accessories for the large egg than the small. Personally I don't think you can go wrong getting the large. We actually have 2 larges and we're a family of 3. We do the Thanksgiving turkey every year on our egg.

For the 2 of us, we have never been disappointed with our medium, and on the whole, we think for us it was exactly the right choice. It is manageable for size, weight, and seems to cook enough for us. It also uses very little fuel and is fast to start up. Not disagreeing with jaxs, but people tried to tell us we'd need a large and FOR US it has worked fine to get the medium. . . just wanted to toss that because most people said we needed a large and turns out we didn't.

Like I said, those who want well-done steaks get them from the gasser!!! LOL!!!