Honored Contributor

Re: Beware : Product of China

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

OP speaks favorable of Italy for safe products............. - it just occurred to me a news report I heard a couple of weeks ago from one of the major big cable channels.............

.that China, being fully aware of the negative feelings toward them,  

purchased land & has  manufacturing facilities in Northern Italy so goods can be marked 'made in Italy'.

I don't recall any specific product mentioned........but I thought...how sneaky.'

I've read they make handbags and other products in Italy too.

How about all of the food items that are recalled in this country, do we stop buying .American ?

@QVCkitty1 No.  I am confident that our food supply is monitored, not the best but it is verified and tracked, and that a lot is done with the best intent on all parties.

China?  No, I'm not at all sure about especially with some of the underhanded ways of treating food and the state of the waters around their industrial areas.  

AND, I want to give as many neighbors and friends jobs as I can.  As an American, I try to have their backs.  

Esteemed Contributor

Personally,  I don't think the major issue in this thread is China.

It's the passing off to the needy a product the poster seems quite certain is dangerous and contaminated. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

OP speaks favorable of Italy for safe products............. - it just occurred to me a news report I heard a couple of weeks ago from one of the major big cable channels.............

.that China, being fully aware of the negative feelings toward them,  

purchased land & has  manufacturing facilities in Northern Italy so goods can be marked 'made in Italy'.

I don't recall any specific product mentioned........but I thought...how sneaky.'

I've read they make handbags and other products in Italy too.

How about all of the food items that are recalled in this country, do we stop buying .American ?

@QVCkitty1 No.  I am confident that our food supply is monitored, not the best but it is verified and tracked, and that a lot is done with the best intent on all parties.

China?  No, I'm not at all sure about especially with some of the underhanded ways of treating food and the state of the waters around their industrial areas.  

AND, I want to give as many neighbors and friends jobs as I can.  As an American, I try to have their backs.  

@, I think I was just trying to say that life is a gamble. We can do all in our power to stay safe, but we can never be absolutely certain where things are made . I think you can drive yourself crazy worrying about it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I would return the spaghetti to the store she purchased it. I also wouldn't eat it.

Honored Contributor

I don't even look where my food is from.  Before Covoid I often shopped at an Asian market and I even ate at Chinese restaurants........

Honored Contributor

First, I always thought that spaghetti was originally from China.  Heard that since I was a kid.

Second, I do believe China did overtake a large tomato base that's a widely used ingredient in most of our spaghetti/tomato sauces from here and Italy and where ever... There was mention of a documentary about it.

Thirdly, many people here would definitely not look to see where their food was made, processed, etc. and if indeed see it was China--they'd still eat it.  So I see no reason why you shouldn't donate it to a food bank or even give it to a Chinese food eating friend!  Mangia away. 

I, personally, made a conscientious decision to not buy anything from China (and many other countries) because of several factors. 

All this concern about climate change and many are only glaring looking at each other here in America and not countries with poor air and water pollution that we are buying from.

Plus, less of a carbon footprint, if you can get your pasta made/manufactured somewhere in this country.  Right?

I cringe at animal testing done in China even though I'm not a top writer/reporter on the pet forum, I do still love animals.  

I won't mention things like the Yulin Dog festival, oh I just did.

I know there are many things that you can't get from anywhere else, but China, or India, or.....fill in the blank, but what you can do is choose where you want your money to go and what goes in your mouth when there are other better options.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't even look where my food is from.  Before Covoid I often shopped at an Asian market and I even ate at Chinese restaurants........

@DiAnne, oh, the horror!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I know exactly how you feel ! ! ! ! ! !  SAME HERE ! ! ! !

Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

OH YES.  Be especially careful of the food.  If you eat a lot of fish like I do, it could be farmed in China.  You do not wnat to eat that.  I guess a lot people don't care what they put ino their bodies.

Respected Contributor

As someone who has had to frequent food pantries over the years I don't look at the food I get for free. I'm just happy to get food and be able to eat for the week. Most of the food is not name brand and I make sure it looks okay to eat, some have expired dates which I don't eat.

Sometimes we get food from grocery stores and that is a treat but for the most part its from Harvesters and once in awhile from people that donate from a church esp at the holidays.

The fresh veggies are usually past the date and you have to pick thru but believe me for the most part it is a welcome sight!