Honored Contributor

Re: Beware: Garlic from China !

I wouldn't throw away something I've already paid for, anymore than I'd throw money away.  But, I totally understand where she's coming from.  I will try my loyal best to not purchase from China if at all possible here on out.  Too many died from their past deeds and I cannot support that. 

There's more that our country needs to do, so we can depend on us though. We have to find that way, we just must!

Trusted Contributor

@patbz @Reever 

This OP has Nothing to do with ethnicity, but Health! It's No secret that China has lax to zero standards when it comes to food.

If you and anyone else finds No fault in the usage of human sewage along with pesticides used in their food products, that's your business. But don't wrongly accuse people of xenophobia when it is Not the issue. If you read the post, it comments on a product and production.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I wouldn't throw away something I've already paid for, anymore than I'd throw money away.  But, I totally understand where she's coming from.  I will try my loyal best to not purchase from China if at all possible here on out.  Too many died from their past deeds and I cannot support that. 

There's more that our country needs to do, so we can depend on us though. We have to find that way, we just must!

The point was the usage of pesticides (some even containing asbestos) and human sewage on food. Not the ethnicity, but the practices used. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

China buys thousands of tons of our agricultural products.  I wonder if they say, "Ewwww, it was grown in the US so into the trash it goes?". It would make as much sense.

@Kachina624  We're saying Ewwww to their human waste usage and pesticides Not the people of China. Big difference. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

I'm amazed at the numerous xenophobic comments about products coming from China. What would some of you do it you had to eat at a food truck that was run by someone who doesn't have your ancestry? Would you automatically assume the food served doesn't meet your criteria?  That's exactly what these comments say to me!

@patbz  How do you equate 'not wanting to purchase and eat food with the usage of pesticides and human sewage' to xenophobia?! 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

@Magny wrote:

Just googled garlic from China.  Yes, it may be fertilized with human waste, & it is bleached.

Trader Joe’s is phasing out single ingredients from China, including garlic, ginger, spinach & edamame.

@Magny  They use human sewage and "bleach" it? I don't care if they bleach it white, it is what it is!

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Its just plain ugly for a comment on food and where it is grown to be turned into racism.  Dont make it something it is not.

And how are we going to hold China accountable?  What will we do to them?  Spank them?

We are so dependent on them for products that sanctions are nearly impossible due to the fact that this country has let manufacturing buildings go to ruin, and same with the cotton mills.  It would take so much money and time to re--build or build new that it would not be feasible for years.  Plus so many of the younger work force these day would not lower their standards to work in the "factory".

While I believe that China needs to be held accountable for their atrocity just what do you recommend?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Its just plain ugly for a comment on food and where it is grown to be turned into racism.  Dont make it something it is not.

And how are we going to hold China accountable?  What will we do to them?  Spank them?

We are so dependent on them for products that sanctions are nearly impossible due to the fact that this country has let manufacturing buildings go to ruin, and same with the cotton mills.  It would take so much money and time to re--build or build new that it would not be feasible for years.  Plus so many of the younger work force these day would not lower their standards to work in the "factory".

While I believe that China needs to be held accountable for their atrocity just what do you recommend?

eyeroll

This:

"Dear God
Grant me the wisdom to know when to keep my mouth shut.
Thank You Amen"

Trusted Contributor

@patbz 

Where have you been for the past 4 months? China is responsible for unleashing a plague on the world the likes of which hasn't been seen for over 100 years. Xenophobia? Please. the Chinese are responsible for over 1 million deaths worldwide, and the continuing disruption in the lives and livelihoods of billions more people. Your PC rhetoric is not only ridiculous, but dangerous as well. OP's comment has nothing to do with xenophobia. It's about our basic health and survival.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@STYLE wrote:

With all that's going on in the world associated with China I think we all have sino phobia.

No, we definitely do not all have it. Please speak for yourself only and don't attribute xenophobia to everyone.