Honored Contributor

Re: Beware : Frozen produce from China

I have been to China.  I have seen their fields and eaten their food.  I have no issues with the way their food is handled or grown.

I know that China and many other countries around the world refuse to buy US exports of food, especially meat products.

They do not want our meat with antibiotics and hormones and produce with pesticides on it.

When in China, I noticed that fruit on their trees was wrapped in some type of tissue paper looking product. I asked why.  I was told that this was done to protect the fruit from insects and pollution.

BTW, I ate their fish and crab when there..raw as well as cooked and I am still alive.

American Food is not perfect. Many people are sickened every year from e-coli and other bacteria.

IMO, it is silly to call and complain to the store manager about where your food comes from.  If it is that important to you..Go out and get it yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie : Amen sister!

Respected Contributor

I never buy any Chinese fish or produce, frozen or fresh, even when it is super cheap. I would rather eat less but clean. If it says on the package made or grown in China, Vietnam, Indonesia or something similar I stay away. 

Respected Contributor

I'm careful about some items from China, like fish and dog treats, but also shop my local Chinese grocer for certain hard to find items.  Like good Jasmine rice, sushi rice, spring roll wraps and fresh veggies like bok choy and varied varieties of herbs. Plus hard to find spices and mushrooms. I've survived, so far Woman Wink.

Since I love to prepare Chinese meals, I must have authentic ingredients. That said, for cryin' out loud, you'd think we could grow enough of our own spinach and other common produce, that we wouldn't need to purchase from China.

I'm not too happy about this either. I'd prefer my veggies not to travel (frozen) by slow boat, when optimally they should be from farm to table.  

Respected Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

I never buy any Chinese fish or produce, frozen or fresh, even when it is super cheap. I would rather eat less but clean. If it says on the package made or grown in China, Vietnam, Indonesia or something similar I stay away. 

Very lax regulations result in heavy metal contamination, raw sewage. heavy pesticide and herbicide use in foods.  

Respected Contributor

My husband recently told me not to buy fish imported from China or chicken. I asked and he told me why. I will spare everyone. This was before the virus outbreak so it had nothing to do with that. Now when he says don't buy this or that from somewhere I listen and don't ask questions. I'm squeamish I don't need details. I trust that if it grosses him out it will really gross me out. 

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

Very lax regulations result in heavy metal contamination, raw sewage. heavy pesticide and herbicide use in foods.  

@Reever    You have proof of this of course.  Would you care to present it?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

For many reasons, I read ever lable before I buy.  I won't buy tuna unless it is from specific places and Asia is not on the list.

Yes, I check all labels before I buy.  If it is frozen and I can't view the lable it doesn't go into the order.   Period. 

I do not want anything to do with food from some countries.   And don't try to shame me about it because you can't.  No apologies about being specific about this issue. 

Honored Contributor

211C55A0-1F65-4BC0-BBB9-29FE135D63C0.jpeg7D43DC60-DD74-4D8C-8BBF-0597F9ADF2AA.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Excerpts from:  weather.com/science/environment/news/2020-04-21-deepwater-horizon-oil-spill-pollution-in-fish-10-years-later

In the 10 years since the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, a team of researchers has sampled 2,503 fish representing 91 species, and found evidence of oil exposure in all of them.

The scientists say sediments on the bottom, where much of the oil settled, are churned up by storms and currents, and fish are re-exposed to the oil.

"We were quite surprised that among the most contaminated species was the fast-swimming yellowfin tuna as they are not found at the bottom of the ocean where most oil pollution in the Gulf occurs," lead author Erin Pulster, a researcher in USF’s College of Marine Science, said in a news release about the study.

USF pointed out that despite the study's findings, fish from the Gulf are rigorously tested for contaminants to ensure public safety and are safe to eat because oil contaminants in fish flesh are well below public health advisory levels.

More details at:  usf.edu/news/2020/first-gulf-of-mexico-wide-survey-of-oil-pollution-in-fish-completed-10-years-after-deepwater-horizon.aspx

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.