Respected Contributor

Beware : Frozen produce from China

Much to my shock and dismay the frozen spinach I ordered from Instacart at my local supermarket says Product of China.  I was disgusted as I already consumed several servings of the steamed frozen spinach before I noticed it.  I called the manager of the grocer and he said I would have to contact Instacart to get a refund and I have had no luck getting a hold of them. I assume they are swamped handling so many orders that my complaint will fall on deaf ears.

Needless to say when we order online we are not able to examine the label of products like we can at the grocer firsthand. I decided to toss the spinach.  As many know the Chinese have very lax regulations on food and grow foods in contaminated soils filled with neuro toxins and use raw sewage as fertilizer. They spray heavily with pesticides and herbicides to get a quick yield.  I know many people avoid fish from China but please be aware some of our fruits and vergetables also get imported from China which is a disgrace. Please be careful everyone. I am sending a letter to my local congressman to make them aware that we need to support American farmers at the expense of the Chinese which are doing so much damage to our country.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beware : Frozen produce from China

@Reever : Really???Complaining about Chinese spinach because "they" "caused" this?  You do realize that commerce is a two way street and our farmers are very dependent on both sales to restaurants and "foreign trade"(in large part China).

Honored Contributor

@Reever -

That is not good.

What grocery store did you order from?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Here we go beating up on China again.  You've probably eaten a ton of frozen Chinese veggies in your lifetime.  I understand much of Whole Food's frozen organic veggies come from China.  It's the fine print on the back of the package.

Have you heard about recalls of tainted American grown food?  Well, the Chinese stuff WASN'T recalled.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Reever : Really???Complaining about Chinese spinach because "they" "caused" this?  You do realize that commerce is a two way street and our farmers are very dependent on both sales to restaurants and "foreign trade"(in large part China).

No !   totally separate from the Corona threat - Ive always been wary of Chinese fish but had no idea produce is being imported from there.  Ive avoided Chinese foods for many years, ever since the allegations of contaminated dog food causing kidney failure.  This event has made me even more hyper vigilant to check the country of origin on food products.

Esteemed Contributor

Are you saying that you DO examine the label in the store and this time you were not able to?  Or is this all a surprise?

Respected Contributor

If you don't specify brands and always like the cheapest items, the shoppers will search for whatever is convenient.

If people shop by lowest budget alone, stores will always carry items made in China.

When I shop, I even check all my dog and cat food to be sure it is not made in China!

Respected Contributor

i just checked my spinich. NOT from china.  i don't think i would care if it was or not. 

we all know that this country gets lots, and lots of things from china. it's the way it is now.

i say that if someone wants to look at every item that they purchase, or consume to make sure it's not from china, that's your right, but it's not going to change a thing.

and if you think that you can actually avoid all things from china, think again. 

Respected Contributor

I would like to know the brand. Are you trying to knock Instacart or the vegetables? I just looked in my freezer and not one bag of vegetables say China.

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if anyone buying red meat or chicken can trace it back to where it was processed here in this country.  The conditions in these processing plants have evidently been pretty disgusting.  And all along, I and so many others thought these plants were routinely inspected and met sanitary standards.  The conditions workers have had to endure, as well as the safety of the products they have been processing, are nothing to be proud of.  And here in the USA.