Regular Contributor

Beware Cuisinart toaster oven

[ Edited ]

In February, I bought a Cuisinart toaster oven.  I love it.  BUT - a few days ago, I walked in to my kitchen and the toaster oven was on.  At first I thought I must have done something to start it - maybe pushed the button somehow.  Hmmm.  Several days later, it happened again.  Clearly, the toaster oven is defective, not me Smiley Happy

Good thing I was home.

I called Cuisinart customer service and a new one is one the way to me.  I didn't have to send in the old one.  They just require that you send them a photo of the cord that they ask you to cut.

THey were very nice.

So just an FYI.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beware Cuisinart toaster oven

Do you have the model number for your toaster?

I have had the airfryer/toaster oven (TOA-60) for a year and love it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I got a new Cuisinart toaster oven in April.I love it. I never leave a toaster oven plugged in.I unplug it after each use.

Honored Contributor

I have had their airfryer toaster oven for close to two years with out a single issue

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

If this problem has been reported frequently, it’s serious for all of us potential owners.  If the problem is essentially a one-off, I wouldn't be afraid.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Do you have the model number for your toaster?

I have had the airfryer/toaster oven (TOA-60) for a year and love it.  

I have been looking at that one on different sites for about a week now for a possible Christmas gift for my son.  He is the family chef even sent pictures to me last night of his fried chicken he made.  Happy to see your post and the length of time you have had it @Johnnyeager 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I got mine at Macy's when it was on sale.  They periodically reduce the price quite a bit.

Respected Contributor

I just looked at the manuals for several Cuisinart Toaster Ovens, available on the Cuisinart site in PDF form. They all have the following, or words to the same effect:

UNPLUG FROM OUTLET WHEN NOT IN USE AND BEFORE CLEANING.

I believe most heating appliances should be unplugged when not in use. The exceptions I make are the microwave oven and the DuraFlame heater (in season). But other heaters, irons, toasters and toaster ovens, curling irons, etc. are best unplugged.

That said, this should not have happened and I'm glad the OP is getting what sounds like great resolution from Cuisinart, and that she had no personal or property damage.

Regardless of Cuisinart's response, though, this should probably be reported to the CPSC.

We have a toaster but it is not a Cuisinart brand. I always unplug our toaster when not in use so I am really not that worried.

Respected Contributor

Over 40 years ago I worked with a woman who said they left their toaster plugged in on the counter, and one day it caught on fire.  That freaked me out....ever since then any small appliance I use is only plugged in while I use it!

I do keep my microwave plugged in.