Respected Contributor

Please be aware while shopping about garlic imported from CHINA ! 

80% of the garlic sold around the world comes from China.  Garlic from China is often covered in bleach and pesticides.China isn’t as stringent with its safety regulations. Reports run rampant of garlic bleached in chlorine, fumigated in pesticides, grown in untreated sewage water, and even contaminated with lead.

Shoppers please only select CALIFORNIA GROWN GARLIC !   We must break free of dependeny on China.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Beware : Chinese Garlic

[ Edited ]

So garlic grown somewhere in the USA, but not necessarily California, is no good?  It has to be California garlic only?

Or do you mean to advise that China-sourced garlic may be impure or dangerously treated, but garlic grown here in the USA may be a safer choice?

Also, all food imported into the USA is sampled and tested in FDA laboratories to screen for dangerous impurities, infestations, or other unwholesome attributes. Imports are stopped if random testing does not meet quality standards. Perhaps some slips through, but not often and not for long.

I don't disagree that China may be lax in its release of some contaminants, but I do not believe that 80% of the world's garlic is toxic because it's grown in and exported from China. 

I did some research and found the advisory words you posted were verbatim from a report online from a source called Boredom Therapy!  Perhaps that is for people preoccupied with alarmist advice to offset boredom?

https://boredomtherapy.com/american-garlic-vs-chinese-garlic/

Honored Contributor

Re: Beware : Chinese Garlic

[ Edited ]

Here we go again.  I thought we had already exhausted the garlic-from-China discussion.  I know I heard all I wanted to hear about it.  I guess when you can't find anything else to discuss, we can resume kicking China.

Isn't California the annual source of contaminated of Romaine Lettuce?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

FYI...................there are several topics on this subject if you Google it gizmogal. Southern Living is one you should check out. 

California is the garlic capital of the world

Respected Contributor

FYI.......................California's Salinas Valley is often called the "Salad Bowl of the World." Roughly 70 percent of the nation's lettuce crop is grown there, along with plenty of other produce.

Respected Contributor

I have seen this garlic from China for years and cannot understand why it's sold here when so much garlic is grown in the USA, especially Gilroy, CA.  Isn't Gilroy the garlic capital of the world or maybe just the US. Anyway, I buy the loose garlic and make sure it's grown here.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Here we go again.  I thought we had already exhausted the garlic-from-China discussion.  I know I heard all I wanted to hear about it.  I guess when you can't find anything else to discuss, we can resume kicking China.

Isn't California the annual source of contaminated of Romaine Lettuce?

yes, another chinese garlic thread by the same poster even......isnt it?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

I have seen this garlic from China for years and cannot understand why it's sold here when so much garlic is grown in the USA, especially Gilroy, CA.  Isn't Gilroy the garlic capital of the world or maybe just the US. Anyway, I buy the loose garlic and make sure it's grown here.

Ditto!  What she said.  I haven't bought Chinese garlic in many years and don't intend to buy it. 

Trusted Contributor

I have trouble understanding how 80% of the garlic sold in the world is grown in China and how California (specifically Gilroy) is the garlic capital of the world?

Which of these locales dominates the garlic market? Or is it that one sells more (China sells 80% leaving 20% to other growers) but one (Gilroy? California?) actually grows more garlic, but doesn't sell as much?

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

I have trouble understanding how 80% of the garlic sold in the world is grown in China and how California (specifically Gilroy) is the garlic capital of the world?

Which of these locales dominates the garlic market? Or is it that one sells more (China sells 80% leaving 20% to other growers) but one (Gilroy? California?) actually grows more garlic, but doesn't sell as much?

@gizmogal  Last time I bought garlic my grocery store only had Chinese garlic.