Honored Contributor

Re: Better get my baking & cookie recipes & supplies ...Gonna be a holiday baking marathon?

You'd also have to engage in some complex bookkeeping and report profits to the IRS.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Better get my baking & cookie recipes & supplies ...Gonna be a holiday baking marathon?

[ Edited ]

I do believe there is a difference in engaging in selling cookies for profit and cooking for friends that request them and they repay you for the "stuff" to make them.

All the ingredients needed to make a variety of cookies does not come cheap!

She is cooking for friends, not running a business.  They all know her and the condition of her house and kitchen I am sure!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills  I agree. There is usually no problem selling goods from home occasionally to friends unless someone complains.

My daughter makes custom cakes for people who ask her to for birthdays. This is not her job and she only does it occasionally. They do pay her.

I would imagine if you did it full time all year around, someome would complain.

I have a cousin who with her sisters bakes to make money out of one of my cousin's home.  The home kitchen is inspected once a year by the state.

They bake a few times a year, selling thousands of an ethnic bakery item.  The money they make is donated to their special cause.  One of my cousins sons has a medical condition and the money goes to the non profit who helps those with his condition. 

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1  Very yummy looking cookies!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Great idea. No one criticized you - well almost no one! I'm sure you'll have repeat customers.

Honored Contributor

I love to bake, I would much rather bake than cook but I'm sure we can't live on bread and cake and cookies.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1   Enjoy being in your happy place.  I love to bake as well.  Some organizations still get together and will enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To those who ask

@Kachina624 & others...

OMG .... NO profit here...just enjoyment and "friends" pay me basically for ingredients ...believe me I'll NEVER get rich!!  Even when I cater a luncheon very few $$ above food costs...

With butter at $6/lb, nuts, etc. I couldn't afford to do as "favor"!

Those inquiring minds can stop "worrying" about reporting, licensing and more -- I am no way a home bakery🙄...and for the record, there are many home bakers who do this by advertising & I have never heard they have "credentials" except great love of baking!!

plus these are people (and friends) I know who live in my Community.

Happy Holidays & Baking 🎄🎄

Honored Contributor

No ....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills@Carmie 

Thank you ...I wish I did own a catering business but that was my life before "retirement"!

I bet your daughter does beautiful baking that's why others want her "treats"!!