Honored Contributor

Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook 100th Anniversary

I have a lot of cookbooks.  People tease me about it.  But I found an excellent one today:  Better Homes and Gardens 100th Anniversary cookbook.

It is full of lists, ingredient information, cooking time charts for about everything, history of recipes and how techniques and ingredients have changed, and all sorts of needed cooking information and interesting reading.  It has instructions for measuring, cutting, spice tables, lists of peppers and their heat factor, and on and on.

Lots of pictures!  Good pictures! Woman Happy

If you know a beginning cook, or anyone who cooks, or just a book lover who needs to cook, this is a great choice! 

Respected Contributor

Re: Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook 100th Anniversary

I have a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that I've had for probably 30 years and I still refer to it sometimes. It's a tried and true cookbook and I also have ALOT of different books, copies of recipes etc etc. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner   I love the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and I have it in four editions.

The first one, my mother gave me in 1963, I have one from 1953,

one from 1976 and the last one was the 75th Anniversary edition.

I still use a lot of those old recipes. It is great that they update information in new editions, for cooking today.

Super Contributor

I have to say that in 1965 my husband's mother had the 1965 Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook which I loved.  When she passed in 1985 I really wanted it for one reason.  The Cheesecake Supreme recipe. She made this when my hubby and I were dating.  I bought the Gold edition off the internet years ago and still have it and still make that cheesecake to this day.  Better than what you get from QVC or anything you buy. Cheesecake  Supreme!!!  You will be amazed!!  Addie

Honored Contributor

I got mine in 1964.  The spaghetti, meatballs, and sauce recipe is still my favorite.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner

Thanks for posting about this! Just ordered one from Amazon!

Mine was from the 80's!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonMom wrote:

@Sooner

Thanks for posting about this! Just ordered one from Amazon!

Mine was from the 80's!

@KingstonMom I hope you like it!  It's fun just to read--if you like to cook--but such a great reference for basic information.

I finally got my husband to NOT just grab cooking times or recipes off the internet, but first look at the source. He's very happy with this book!

Respected Contributor

I cook and bake A LOT!  Have multiple cookbooks and many internet recipes saved/categorized.  Follow many cooking bloggers.  That being said, the BHG cookbooks are the best EVER!  I got mine at my first wedding shower in 1982, so it is the 1981 edition--40+ years old!  (Wish I was still 40...lol)  Whenever I am trying a new recipe from the internet, I always compare the ingredients and baking times to a similar recipe in my BHG cookbook.  I have never had a BHG recipe fail me yet, and many of the recipes are in my regular rotation. I wish this anniversary edition was in a binder form.  I read that the spiral bound isn't as nice as the hard cover, and I can't imagine it lasting long with regular use.

Honored Contributor

I got mine when I married on New Years Eve in 1981.  The marriage did not last but that cook book is still getting more stains splashed on it as I cook for my grandchildren.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I got my first one for my wedding shower over 51 years ago.  My son bought me an updated one in the early 90"s and I took my MIL's when she passed.  I still use them quite often.  I'll have to get the 100 yrs one.