Respected Contributor

Best-selling cookies in the U.S.

[ Edited ]

To see the full story with more details about each cookie, look up....

HOW THE COOKIE CRUMBLES

By Charles Apple
THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW

Cookies are thought to have been invented in Persia – what is now called Iran was one of the first countries to refine sugar – in the 7th century. Cooks began making small cakes, pastries and wafers. These spread to Europe with the Muslim invasion of Spain and then the Crusades. By the end of the 14th century, hungry snack lovers could buy cookies on the streets of Paris.

Here’s a look at the bestselling cookies in the U.S. 

LOFTHOUSE by Treehouse Foods, sold in grocery store bakeries

MILANO by Pepperidge Farm

Nilla Wafers

Little Debbie Nutty Buddy

Litttle Debbie

Oreo 

Oreo Double Stuf-----In 2013, a high school math teacher in N.Y. weighed regular and Double Stuf and found the Double Stuf contained only 1.86 times the filling of ordinary Oreos.

BelVita

Chips Ahoy

Respected Contributor

Re: Best-selling cookies in the U.S.

I love all of them on the list except Oreo.  They are the worst cookie ever (kind of like stiff cardboard with a cream filling).  I can't believe they're on the list at all.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I noticed a few days ago, while waiting in line to return an item at Costco, customers rolling out their carts seemed to have bought a lot of the BelVita biscuits, which are on sale this month at Costco.

Haven't ever tried them.  Are they really that good?

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

I love all of them on the list except Oreo.  They are the worst cookie ever (kind of like stiff cardboard with a cream filling).  I can't believe they're on the list at all.

@KatieB Yes Oreos are terrible!  Always were!  

I think vanilla wafers are mostly used for pie crusts and does Lil Debbie make cookies?  I thought they only made cakes or cup cakes and things like that.  

Honored Contributor

Not the brands/types I would think making the top of the list. Hmmm. I must have odd tastes? LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

The article says Little Debbie (McKee Foods) had been selling oatmeal cookies since 1935, but the company made Oatmeal Creme Pies beginning in 1960.  (The "pies" reportedly are two chewy oatmeal cookies stuck together with a pasty sugar filling.)

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@Sooner 

The article says Litle Debbie (McKee Foods) had been selling oatmeal cookies since 1935, but the company made Oatmeal Creme Pies beginning in 1960.  (The "pies" reportedly are two chewy oatmeal cookies stuck together with a pasty sugar filling.)

@novamc1 That's a moon pie!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@KatieB Yes Oreos are terrible!  Always were!  

I think vanilla wafers are mostly used for pie crusts and does Lil Debbie make cookies?  I thought they only made cakes or cup cakes and things like that.  

@Sooner  Lil Debbie makes the individually wrapped cookies in the boxes.  They call them creme pies though.

lildebbie1.jpg

lildebbie2.jpg

And there are more types.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Not the brands/types I would think making the top of the list. Hmmm. I must have odd tastes? LOL

@Mominohio My husband likes Fig Newtons.  Therefore anything is possible.  

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I noticed a few days ago, while waiting in line to return an item at Costco, customers rolling out their carts seemed to have bought a lot of the BelVita biscuits, which are on sale this month at Costco.

Haven't ever tried them.  Are they really that good?

@novamc1   I like the brown sugar cinnamon flavored one.