Honored Contributor

Best ever Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing dupe!

Several months ago we had a thread on the perils of MSG additives in our food on this forum. I had posted my dismay, and frustration that Hidden Valley Dressing was loaded with MSG and it's cousins. It didn't matter if it was pre made bottled, or packaged dry, any every flavor...it has MSG!

Someone posted the best duplicate for Hidden Valley dressing ever! I want everyone to know I made it, as did my family and we all gave it 30 thumbs up!! You cannot tell the difference. My one daughter did a "taste test", at a huge party and no one could tell the difference..not one person. My daughter was addicted to the stuff, but her daughter had bad reaction to MSG. Other Ranch dressings are not good to us.

I hope the poster who gave me the recipe comes by, as I want to thank her. Here is her recipe. It makes a ton. I keep some handy in a pint mason jar, and have vacuumed sealed little packets.

Note. I purchased organic spices online (cheaper than buying bottles), and used July brand organic saltine crackers. I bought a huge bunch of organic parsley at store, and dehydrated it myself in oven day before I made mix. It was way cheaper! I used only the leaves after it was dehydrated, and threw stems away.

Ingredients

15 saltine crackers

2 c minced dried parsley

1/2cup dry minced ONION

2T dry DILL

1/4 cup ONION SALT

1/4 cup GARLIC SALT

1/4 cup ONION POWDER

1/4 cup GARLIC POWDER

Blend crackers on high speed in processor until powdered

add Parsley and blend until parsley is size of cracked pepper or finer. Then add minced dry onion and blend until fine, then add Dill and blend. These ingredients should be ground until it looks like powdered HV dressing mix. Very fine. Then stir in rest of ingredients and process to blend well.

To make dressing use, 1T mix per 1 cup mayo (or vegenaise) and 1 cup buttermilk. I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon mix to mine. Make at least 5 hours ahead. Overnight is best, or early in day. The crackers thicken dressing, and the spices incorporate better.

Add dry mix to burgers, fries, or sour cream for dip. Add a little dry mix to potato/macaroni salad!

Honored Contributor

Re: Best ever Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing dupe!

[ Edited ]

Many of you asked for this recipe.  I have an iPad and dont know how to copy and paste on the QVC forum😳

Valued Contributor

@shoekitty

Thank you for bringing this recipe back up for me. We love ranch dressing. I can't wait to mix up a batch of this.

Honored Contributor

shoekitty--so what do the crackers do ---thicken it? Very interesting recipe. Would love to try it. Crackers are not on my diet tho---will plug this recipe in and see how it bounces!!

Honored Contributor

As much as I love ranch dressing, there is something in the Hidden Valley packet that I don't care for and just can't eat it or anything it's been added to.

Honored Contributor

Homemade ranch dressing is so much better with fresh herbs in it, IMO. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I seldom purchase prepared dressing but when I do need ranch dressing I get it in refrigerated section.  

Honored Contributor

The main reason I searched for dupe recipe is I am hyper sensitive to msg.  Hidden valley puts msg in every single one of their products.  I hated that there werent any options. The other reason was I do eat organic, and I do have many of herbs, like parsley.  I always have organic spices and herbs that I purchase as well.  That way I dont get irradiated spices