Esteemed Contributor

What is it?

Coconut oil is an edible oil extracted from the kernel or meat of matured coconut harvested from the coconut palm. These plants are native to a tropic climate. Throughout the tropical world, coconut oil has provided the primary source of fat in the diets of millions of people for generations. Coconut oil is very heat-stable, which makes it suited to methods of cooking at high temperatures like frying. Because of its stability, it is slow to oxidize and, thus, resistant to rancidity, lasting up to two years. A thousand mature coconuts weighing approximately 19,000 lb yields around 370 lb of copra from which around 70 quarts of coconut oil can be extracted.

A bad rap

In the 1970’s, because of incomplete information, the United States Food and Drug Administration recommend against the consumption of significant amounts of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat. This was because of several issues. First, coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids and not long chain fatty acids. Second, the processes used in production of coconut oil may have included high heat, refining, bleaching, and deodorizing as with vegetable oils. These processes can lead to the alteration of oils which are not desirable. Proper harvesting of the coconut makes a significant difference in the efficacy of the oil-making process. The kernel of coconuts made from immature nuts (the age of a coconut can be 2 to 20 months when harvested) produces an inferior product.

New production, new information

Virgin coconut oil can be produced from fresh coconut meat, milk or residue. Production does not necessarily include the kernel to be heated, refined, bleached, or deodorized. Extra virgin coconut oil is obtained by fresh, mature coconut kernel of the same age through means which do not lead to alteration of the oil and improves the quality of the oil. Coconut oil is now found to contain about 50 percent lauric acid, a rare medium-chain fatty acid found in mother’s milk that supports healthy metabolism and is now being studied for its anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial health-protecting properties. These medium chain fatty acids are very different from long chain fatty acids, found in meats, eggs, and vegetable oils. They do not have a negative effect on one’s health and have many health benefits.

Health benefits

Coconut oil strengthens the immune system as it contains antimicrobial lipids and acids which have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. According to the Coconut Research Center, coconut oil kills viruses that cause influenza, measles, hepatitis, herpes, SARS, etc. It also kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, etc. Coconut oil is also effective on fungi and yeast that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, etc.

Coconut oil helps in improving the digestive system and thus prevents various stomach and digestion related problems including irritable bowel syndrome. The saturated fats present in coconut oil have anti microbial properties and help in dealing with various bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc., that cause indigestion. Coconut oil also helps in absorption of other nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and amino acids.

Because coconut oil contains about 50% lauric acid it helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. The saturated fats present in coconut oil are not harmful as it happens in case of other vegetables oils. It also reduces the incidence of injury in arteries and therefore helps in preventing atherosclerosis.

Coconut oil contains short and medium-chain fatty acids that help in taking off excessive weight. It is also easy to digest and it helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems. Further, it increases the body metabolism by removing stress on pancreases, thereby burning out more energy and helping overweight people reduce their weight.

OTHER BENIFITS

Coconut oil helps in preventing kidney and gall bladder diseases. It also helps in dissolving kidney stones. Coconut oil is excellent massage oil for the skin and helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections. Regular massage of the head with coconut oil ensures that your scalp is free of dandruff, lice, and lice eggs, even if your scalp is dry. Coconut oil helps in controlling blood sugar, and improves the secretion of insulin and utilization of blood sugar thereby preventing and treating diabetes. Coconut oil improves the ability of our body to absorb important minerals including calcium and magnesium which are necessary for development of bones and strong teeth. Coconut oil also stops tooth decay.

Organic facts.net

Wikipedia.org

Coconut oil in body soap produces great lather, adds hardness, and has great moisturizing abilities.

Honored Contributor
Very interesting, thanks. How does food fried in it taste?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Great! I use it all the time and have for years!

Super Contributor
I will try this, thanks
Honored Contributor

I love the scent of coconut oil...........and use it as a skin moisturizer, too. It isn't greasy at all. My favorite is Trader Joe's, in a jar. Choose the jars that contain the solid form. After being warmed in your hands, it will liquefy, so it will be easy to use as a moisturizer on your face, hands, arms, legs, everywhere.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I eat a big spoonful every night before bed.

I do have a question. During summer months and even in my air-conditioned home, my Coconut Oil won't stay solid. I have to put it in the refrig -- then it gets too hard to easily spoon. So I find myself constantly shifting it from the cupboard to the refrig. Yet it is always solid on the shelf at Trader Joe's.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what should I being doing differently?

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/10/2014 magicmoodz said:

I do have a question. During summer months and even in my air-conditioned home, my Coconut Oil won't stay solid. I have to put it in the refrig -- then it gets too hard to easily spoon. So I find myself constantly shifting it from the cupboard to the refrig. Yet it is always solid on the shelf at Trader Joe's.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what should I being doing differently?

I leave it out - if it's liquid, that's fine with me. It doesn't hurt the coconut oil.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/10/2014 gloriajean said:
On 1/10/2014 magicmoodz said:

I leave it out - if it's liquid, that's fine with me. It doesn't hurt the coconut oil.

For cooking, in its liquid state is fine. I just think I would have a difficult time eating it that way. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Trusted Contributor

Most of this information is anecdotal and not based on objective scientific research.

Esteemed Contributor

My friend who works for the Good Earth Food Coop researches everything he writes in the Good Earth Newsletter and he is very thorough so I believe him, and believe this is true, also by Dr. Weil.