Esteemed Contributor

Re: Been charmed by Blue Willow China?

@ECBG, thanks for your post and notifying me.  Of course I had to go to eBay and do a search for Blue Willow Children's Tea Set and was surprised at the results.

I was tempted to inventory my set and see what pieces might be missing  but am resisting the temptation.  I'll put a note in the container for my heirs to check eBay before deciding what to do with the set.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp I'd set it up on a coffee table or on a shelf.  It would be pretty.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I'd love to @ECBG but I live with a very curious, very agile cat.  To complicate matters she has figured out that her "hooman" does have to sleep sometime which opens forbidden places to investigation and possible play.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor 

I'm late to the party, but wanted to tell you that I adore anything Blue Willow, but never collected.  As pretty as it is, Blue was never my first color for decorating, so the dishes would not have worked in my home.  But it is still a favorite to look at.

There is something about that blue against the white that just sings to me.  A friend redecorated her home in blues and whites and had Blue Willow for her table.  So lovely and relaxing.

If I was younger, and starting over, I would collect more dishes!  I simply cannot justify having more with just two of us using them.

Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor

My everyday dishes are Blue Willow.  I have loved this pattern since I was a little girl, when my mom used her's.  She gave me a little tea set (still have it) to match.  I now have her's and my grandmother's Blue Willow.

OP's first post asked collectors about favorite pieces, makers of Blue Willow and the best sources to add to a collection.  I prefer Johnson Brothers and Churchill.  Those are the ones I use every day.  I also have some old Homer Laughlin pieces in my china cabinet, along with some older 1950s era Made in Japan Blue Willow.  My favorite piece is a large soup tureen (Homer Laughlin) that was my grandmother's. I frequently find Blue Willow pieces in antique stores.  Evine sells new Johson Brothers Blue Willow.  I occasionally buy pieces of JB Blue Willow at Replacements. 

I have spotted Blue Willow on TV shows, like The Andy Griffith Show, Here Come the Brides, Alias Smith and Jones, and other westerns, plus it was used in one of my favorite movies, The Quiet Man, with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

I love transferware patterns, but especially Blue Willow! 

Respected Contributor

I bought mine in 1979, at a store called Bargain City, and the plates were about 1.16   a piece these were my good set for special occasions and I first bought a second hand china corner cabinet for $20.00 and was so happy , so I started my collection for Blue Willow China dishes. The dishes were my pride and joy was so very happy but the dishes chipped very easily , but then I had very careless people handling them. I first used them for my first Thanksgiving for 11 people. Since then I have purchased my second set of everyday/daily dishes in 1989. And gave all but the bowl and serving pieces away they were white correll. I now have my only set just for my husband and I with my Tempt-tion dishes in spice polka dot. Love, love, them those were purchased about 8 years ago and are holding up really well and I like that I can put them in the oven and air-fryer. A big deal for me, and no more family dinners anymore. But I jumped ahead and the blue willow were just thrown out in 1995.They were unsafe to eat off when they are chipped.So that's my story.So all of my Tempt-taion dishes are in my corner cabinet alonf with 2 mini-flower pots of spice colores daisies that I found 8 years ago to set of my dishes. One in each corner of the cabinet. And that corner cabinet is now over 40 years old but 40 years in my homes which was 3 to date.