Honored Contributor

Re: Been charmed by Blue Willow China?

@1ProfessorWhen I was in my early 20's and beginning to start buying antiques to furnish our home, there was a vendor at the large monthly show we went to that had a gigantic collection of the beautiful blue and white.  They were extremely old.  I fell in love immediately, but was buying large antiques, designing and getting ready to build our house, and couldn't afford them.

The display was overwhelmingly beautiful!  I still remember it in extreme detail.  Enjoy!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@January121 wrote:

Sorry, I don’t like it at all 👎

@January121.  This shows how different people are from each other. I would never do what you did.

It’s so interesting how different people can be.

@proudlyfromNJ  ..WTH .... what did I do? ...all I said was I DONT LIKE IT!!!!! .... if that upset you, you need to get a thicker skin & realize people have different taste  & not everybody likes the same thing 😃

@January121 @proudlyfromNJ  & all:

Expressing an opinion is not what happened.

This was a thread that SPECIFICALLY ASKED COLLECTORS to share their love of Blue Willow China. 

The thread did NOT ask for opinions. The negative thumbs down comment was comparable to going to a fan club of X and expressing distain for the thing the fan club is about. Puzzling, because so unnecessary.

This is not about getting a thicker skin.

It's about respect for fans of something on a thread that did not invite others to trash it.

Aren't professors supposed to promote discussion? This is a DISCUSSION board, and there is nothing wrong with people expressing an opinion on here.

It makes me sad to hear that in America someone can't say "I don't like it" without being slammed by someone else.  That is unbelievable to me. 

As to a question above, there are hundreds of patterns and different designs in this china.  And it has been around for hundreds of years, so there are tons of things to look for and they all go together!

@Sooner  ..... THANKS Sooner 😃

Honored Contributor

@1Professor So sorry my dear.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@1Professor So sorry my dear.

@ECBG : This is why lovely people stop contributing to threads, let alone starting one. 

How a happy thread asking others who enjoy something to reply can generate negative put down remarks remains puzzling. 

Then, when one person points out simply that they would not say that negative thing, they are quickly accused of needing to get thicker skin.

Further, when the OP simply points out that the thread was directed at those who collect and enjoy the thing (not asking for discussion by those who are not into it), her entire occupation (professor) is attacked.

Sigh.

I am done posting on the Q.

Honored Contributor

My mother’s youngest sister had PINK Willow (Johnson’s Brothers), that she was given by my grandmother for her “Hope Chest”.

For some reason, it was incredibly fragile, and would chip if you looked at it. We recently sold the house, and I don’t know whether the set was sold or not.

I have always been very fond of this pattern. There is a story connected to the design,of course, and if you study the small sections of the design, the story emerges, but I think I confuse THAT story with the plot of  The Mikado, so I’m not even going to TRY to remember it.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor We can't stop living or enjoying what we do because of what is negative in the world.  Those that chose to stay on the other side hold hands and help others develop their voice.  

It's become common to express dislike in other areas of the board like fashion and kitchen, and often a reader skims over what they're reading without actually reading and understanding.  

We will miss you and I hope you consider returning.

Respected Contributor

@1Professor   I concur with what @ECBG says.  Hoping you will reconsider . . . I've enjoyed your posts, including this one about Blue Willow China.

Respected Contributor

Have always loved blue and white "chinese" design dinnerware and china.  I have Spode blue and white and numerous pieces I use everyday of blue and white "china-ware"; some are brand names, some are from Pier 1, some from Pearl River....just love the look!

@1Professor  Your samples pictured are beautiful!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

My mother’s youngest sister had PINK Willow (Johnson’s Brothers), that she was given by my grandmother for her “Hope Chest”.

For some reason, it was incredibly fragile, and would chip if you looked at it. We recently sold the house, and I don’t know whether the set was sold or not.

I have always been very fond of this pattern. There is a story connected to the design,of course, and if you study the small sections of the design, the story emerges, but I think I confuse THAT story with the plot of  The Mikado, so I’m not even going to TRY to remember it.

@violann I haven't ever seen the pink.  It must have been beautiful.

I posted the story behind the pattern earler in this thread.  Is that the story you remember?Smiley Happy

(I just google imaged your china.  It's referred to as "Red Willow".  Lovely!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor 

Don't feel bad. 

I once got my online knuckles rapped for posting "too many recipes on the recipe thread".  I did not know it was possible to perform this feat, but apparently I did, according to someone.

Do you think I post  many more recipes  after that?  CERTAINLY NOT.  I parcel them out in small quantities.

Some people must think that if one person posts many recipes which some other folks don't like, this means that no one  else can post other recipes that people do like---as if  too much bandwidth is being used, or something. 

LOL!!

So don't feel bad if some people think you are stepping out of bounds for expressing an interest in Blue Willow.  The Blue Willow haters can stand in the corner by themselves, and you can keep posting to the interested crowd,...........please!