Respected Contributor

Re: Been charmed by Blue Willow China?

Are they 3 different patterns ?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have some never used place settings of Blue Willow at our other house.  Your post has convinced me to get them out.  Time's a wasting !  

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@January121 wrote:

Sorry, I don’t like it at all 👎

@January121.  This shows how different people are from each other. I would never do what you did.

It’s so interesting how different people can be.

@proudlyfromNJ  ..WTH .... what did I do? ...all I said was I DONT LIKE IT!!!!! .... if that upset you, you need to get a thicker skin & realize people have different taste  & not everybody likes the same thing 😃

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@January121.  This shows how different people are from each other. I would never do what you did.

@proudlyfromNJ  ..WTH .... what did I do? ...all I said was I DONT LIKE IT!!!!! .... if that upset you, you need to get a thicker skin & realize people have different taste  & not everybody likes the same thing 😃

@January121 @proudlyfromNJ  & all:

Expressing an opinion is not what happened.

This was a thread that SPECIFICALLY ASKED COLLECTORS to share their love of Blue Willow China. 

The thread did NOT ask for opinions. The negative thumbs down comment was comparable to going to a fan club of X and expressing distain for the thing the fan club is about. Puzzling, because so unnecessary.

This is not about getting a thicker skin.

It's about respect for fans of something on a thread that did not invite others to trash it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@January121 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@January121 . How do I put this? Someone says here is my new China. You say To her I don’t like it and you take your hand, stick out your thumb and put it down. 

On this thread or in person I would say, if asked, ‘not my style’. I would never throw my thumb down. 

Why even come on the thread? Cause I believe you get a charge out of being rude. Believe it or not, there is a way to do things, which you know nothing about.

As for my thick skin, I was raised better. Edited to add. Yes, professor1. Thank you, I agree.

Honored Contributor

I like the Blue Willow because I remember my grandma having it.  I bought one little dish (size of a saucer) to have as a remembrance.  It probably isn't really Blue Willow, but is similar.  Use it for a few candies, etc.    

Valued Contributor

I have a sampling of it.  Bought a dinner plate and salad plate a few years ago.  It really is a gorgeous blue design.

Honored Contributor

Isn't it pretty?  I always loved seeing it.  Love the legend behind it.  I've always been a romantic.

The Legend of the Blue Willow 
Blue Willow plateLong ago, in the days when China was ruled by emperors, a Chinese manderin,Tso Ling, lived in the magnificent pagoda under the branches of the apple tree on the right of the bridge, over which droops the famous willow tree, and in front of which is seen the graceful lines of the fence. Tso Ling was the father of a beautiful girl, Kwang-se, who was the promised bride of an old but wealthy merchant. The girl, however, fell in love with Chang, her father's clerk. The lovers eloped across the sea to the cottage on the island. The mandarin pursued and caught the lovers and was about to have them killed when the gods transformed them into a pair of turtle doves. These are the doves seen gazing into each other's eyes at the top of the design on the plates.

Blue Willow China, in its present form originated in the United Kingdom (England) in 1790 by Thomas Turner at Caughley Pottery Works in Shropshire.

A lengthy and old Staffordshire poem of the pattern concludes with the verse:

"In the oft quoted plate two birds are perceived, 
High in the heaven above: 
These are the spirits of Chang and Kwang-se, 
A twin pair of ever in love".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@January121 @proudlyfromNJ  & all:

Expressing an opinion is not what happened.

This was a thread that SPECIFICALLY ASKED COLLECTORS to share their love of Blue Willow China. 

The thread did NOT ask for opinions. The negative thumbs down comment was comparable to going to a fan club of X and expressing distain for the thing the fan club is about. Puzzling, because so unnecessary.

This is not about getting a thicker skin.

It's about respect for fans of something on a thread that did not invite others to trash it.

Aren't professors supposed to promote discussion? This is a DISCUSSION board, and there is nothing wrong with people expressing an opinion on here.

It makes me sad to hear that in America someone can't say "I don't like it" without being slammed by someone else.  That is unbelievable to me. 

As to a question above, there are hundreds of patterns and different designs in this china.  And it has been around for hundreds of years, so there are tons of things to look for and they all go together!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Isn't it pretty?  I always loved seeing it.  Love the legend behind it.  I've always been a romantic.

The Legend of the Blue Willow 
Blue Willow plateLong ago, in the days when China was ruled by emperors, a Chinese manderin,Tso Ling, lived in the magnificent pagoda under the branches of the apple tree on the right of the bridge, over which droops the famous willow tree, and in front of which is seen the graceful lines of the fence. Tso Ling was the father of a beautiful girl, Kwang-se, who was the promised bride of an old but wealthy merchant. The girl, however, fell in love with Chang, her father's clerk. The lovers eloped across the sea to the cottage on the island. The mandarin pursued and caught the lovers and was about to have them killed when the gods transformed them into a pair of turtle doves. These are the doves seen gazing into each other's eyes at the top of the design on the plates.

Blue Willow China, in its present form originated in the United Kingdom (England) in 1790 by Thomas Turner at Caughley Pottery Works in Shropshire.

A lengthy and old Staffordshire poem of the pattern concludes with the verse:

"In the oft quoted plate two birds are perceived, 
High in the heaven above: 
These are the spirits of Chang and Kwang-se, 
A twin pair of ever in love".

@ECBG : Thank you for sharing the folklore behind the china pattern. Charm.

So many have shared remembering the Blue Willow pattern in parents' or grandparents' chinaware . . .