Honored Contributor

Re: Barley Clear toy candy- Please share recipe and process

Clear toy candy is very inexpensive to make once you pay for the candy molds. I make a lot of it for the holidays every year.
The cast iron candy molds I use are not cheap and they can be difficult to find. I collect them all year long, buying them where I can find them. (look on e-bay)
Cake and Kandy Emporium sells them starting at $45 each up to hundreds of dollars. (That's why the candy is expensive to buy)
I don't know anyone who still uses barley sugar. I make mine with cane sugar (never beet sugar) They are not difficult to make, but the sugar mixture is VERY hot. I have been burned a few times and the burns are nasty.
My recipe uses only sugar...others use corn syrup as well, but I don't eat corn syrup so I use an old recipe that doesn't include it.
You will need:
4 cups of cane sugar
1 cup water
1/4 tea. cream of tartar
heavy pot to cook it...a pour spout is helpful
candy thermometer
candy molds that can withstand high temperatures
oil, canola or any light tasting oil
red, green food coloring, if desired (yellow is the natural color and dye isn't needed for this)
Prepare candy molds by making sure they are clean. Coat with a little oil. If they are in 2 pieces, put together with strong rubber bands. Place molds on a cookie sheet (to collect any leaks)
Mix, sugar, water and cream of tartar in your pot. Stir gently to incorporate. Place candy thermometer on the pan so that the bottom touches the mixture, but not the bottom of the pan.
Cook on medium heat...do not stir. Keep checking the thermometer, do not walk away. If you want to add color, add it when the temp is 260 degrees. Again, do not stir when adding color.
Cook until the mixture reaches 300 degrees. Remove from the heat. Do not stir.
Wait a minute or two to cool, and then slowly pour into the molds. Add sticks if desired when the mixture cools a little bit for lollipops. Don't wait too long or it will harden. You have to watch it carefully.
I let the mixture cool a bit until the molds are warm and easy to handle. Then I open the molds and pop the candy out to cool completely. Sometimes I need to use a butter knife to help open the molds.
Store in a plastic bag or tin.
Notes: I don't use food coloring, so all mine are old fashioned yellow.
If you don't have molds, you can pour the mixture onto an oiled cookie sheet with sides. Make sure you pour the mixture thin enough for you to crack into pieces when it's cool.
Do not use plastic candy molds...they will melt. Silicone is ok, but your candy will be flat on one side which is ok. Silicone molds are super easy to use and great for a first time candy maker. Aluminum molds work great too.
Some people like to add flavors such as peppermint, cherry or grape. Add at 260 degrees, if desired.
Always use gloves or protection on your hands when pouring. Keep children and pets out of the kitchen while pouring.
I have found that this works best in small batches. Do not double the recipe unless your molds are large enough to hold a double batch. The candy mixture will harden in the pan.
If you stir while or after cooking you will have bubble toy candy, not clear toy candy.
I have used this mixture to dip apples on a stick too. So yummy.
Honored Contributor

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you want to make the candy the old fashioned way. You would just use 1 cup of the water, strained off from cooking barley instead of just water.

I personally do not know of anyone who does that anymore. I don't know if that would enhance the flavor.

Let me know if you make it that way and how it turns out.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Carmie! I don't have a candy thermometer and would have to buy molds, so doubt I'd make them. But your write-up is interesting.

Regular Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Carmie said:

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you want to make the candy the old fashioned way. You would just use 1 cup of the water, strained off from cooking barley instead of just water.

I personally do not know of anyone who does that anymore. I don't know if that would enhance the flavor.

Let me know if you make it that way and how it turns out.

Thank you. I'm going to make a trial batch this weekend. I'll let you know how they turn out.