Respected Contributor

Re: Barefoot Contessa faux pas

On 4/8/2015 mousiegirl said:
On 4/8/2015 gardenmiss said:

Seriously? I am not watching the show to see a cutting board disinfected. As someone said, it is common knowledge. Plus, if she cuts something that is cooked together with the chicken in the same pot it really doesn't matter anyway.

It is not common knowledge for beginners, and that is who Ina cooks for as her recipes are basic.

LOL, people always assume because they have known something forever everyone does. It never hurts to remind people by bringing this stuff up.

I use those chinette paper plates to cut meat on I've always been a little over paranoid.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

Despite widespread publicity, not everyone knows how to handle chicken properly. I'd rather Ina and others spend a few seconds mentioning proper technique than telling me whom she's entertaining and what centerpieces she created.
New Contributor

I agree poster. There are obese people walking around today and say no one taught them how to eat healthy....and I'm not talking about people with illnesses, etc., just the ones that eat junk and call it food. With all the information that is out there, you would think everyone would know the difference between good food and bad.

So yes, she should mention something about washing hands, etc. because apparently although it is common sense, you will get people who will say they didn't know anything about it.

Valued Contributor

Hope the Hygiene Police never watch me cook. LOL
Trusted Contributor

On 4/8/2015 mousiegirl said:
On 4/8/2015 Sooner said:

That Farmhouse Rules woman is REALLY nasty. I saw her drink out of a ladle recently then dip it back in, and she's making food with her hands and licking her fingers. Ewwwwww!

Sounds like Paula Dean.

I see this on cooking shows, cooking competition shows, etc. all the time. People use the spoon they are stirring the food with, sample it and back in the pot goes the spoon!

Trusted Contributor

On 4/9/2015 Bella Luna said:

So yes, she should mention something about washing hands, etc. because apparently although it is common sense, you will get people who will say they didn't know anything about it.

In my experience “Common sense is not so common.”

-Voltaire

Honored Contributor

All these cooking shows on The Food Network serve up Heart Disease/Diabetes on a silver platter, but nary a word about that. More people will die from heart issues & complications from diabetes than 'cross-contamination'.

Esteemed Contributor

This reminds me of watching Rachel Ray on her first 30-minute meals shows, and now. She always has a separate hard plastic or glass type cutting board for meats or chicken, and she has mentioned it on air that they can't absorb bacteria, etc. I never use a wooden cutting board for meat or chicken either.

When she goes to the sink to wash her hands after cutting raw meat or poultry, she uses her wrist to push down on the soap dispenser and lifts the faucet handle with her wrist or arm as well... she never puts her hands on them. Sometimes if she's breading something, she only uses one hand to manipulate the meat, and keeps the other one clean to pick up a utensil, etc.

I think that's setting an excellent example for anyone, especially younger people who really haven't had to pay attention to that kind of thing before, either because they didn't have to or because no one really taught them.

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Sooner said:

That Farmhouse Rules woman is REALLY nasty. I saw her drink out of a ladle recently then dip it back in, and she's making food with her hands and licking her fingers. Ewwwwww!

She is one I won't watch, can't stand anything about her. JMO.

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

On 4/9/2015 kittymomNC said:

This reminds me of watching Rachel Ray on her first 30-minute meals shows, and now. She always has a separate hard plastic or glass type cutting board for meats or chicken, and she has mentioned it on air that they can't absorb bacteria, etc. I never use a wooden cutting board for meat or chicken either.

When she goes to the sink to wash her hands after cutting raw meat or poultry, she uses her wrist to push down on the soap dispenser and lifts the faucet handle with her wrist or arm as well... she never puts her hands on them. Sometimes if she's breading something, she only uses one hand to manipulate the meat, and keeps the other one clean to pick up a utensil, etc.

I think that's setting an excellent example for anyone, especially younger people who really haven't had to pay attention to that kind of thing before, either because they didn't have to or because no one really taught them.

Good points! I have seen RR practice these safe methods, too. This is what I mentioned above. We learn by example when we watch these shows. She doesn't have to take the time to explain how she is washing up--we get it simply by watching.