Honored Contributor

Re: Barefoot Contessa faux pas

On her show I have seen her comment and turn the board over

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Contributor

On 4/8/2015 mousiegirl said:
On 4/8/2015 gardenmiss said:

Seriously? I am not watching the show to see a cutting board disinfected. As someone said, it is common knowledge. Plus, if she cuts something that is cooked together with the chicken in the same pot it really doesn't matter anyway.

It is not common knowledge for beginners, and that is who Ina cooks for as her recipes are basic.

I was taught that by my mother very early when I started to help out in the kitchen.

Respected Contributor

I have handled chicken for decades and never been sick nor has anyone else I know. I practice good hygiene but wonder how prevalent is this threat. We no longer have to cook pork to death, maybe chicken processing is now more sanitary too than it was 20 years ago? Not that I am saying there is no danger, just to what degree.
Trusted Contributor

I'm sure she washed it right away but I know what you mean. The thing that always gets me is how they all seem to have big bowls of salt and pepper and they grab the chicken then pick up the salt in their fingers, turn the chicken over, grab more salt.....yikes! What are they going to do, throw that bowl of salt away and disinfect it? Probably not Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

That Farmhouse Rules woman is REALLY nasty. I saw her drink out of a ladle recently then dip it back in, and she's making food with her hands and licking her fingers. Ewwwwww!

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Lynneuk said: I'm sure she washed it right away but I know what you mean. The thing that always gets me is how they all seem to have big bowls of salt and pepper and they grab the chicken then pick up the salt in their fingers, turn the chicken over, grab more salt.....yikes! What are they going to do, throw that bowl of salt away and disinfect it? Probably not Smiley Sad

They toss it out. It's a prop. How nasty would it be to be messing around with the chicken then grab a salt shaker? LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Gloria said:
On 4/8/2015 BlueCollarBabe said:

She's not doing a health show. Chefs always have meat cutting boards and others for fruit and veggies. Even a few minutes spent talking about clean-up is time taken from showing the recipes. When I tune in to a cooking show I have no desire to be lectured to about hygiene.

You don't have to be lectured to, but you should be able to see them practicing safe cooking techniques. People learn by watching and by example.

But then we'd have to see them wash the veggies and clean the sink and it would forever and a day. And we all know there is a cleanup crew and prop people. It's like we all knew on Survivor there was a camera crew and catering truck! LOL!!!!

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Sooner said:

That Farmhouse Rules woman is REALLY nasty. I saw her drink out of a ladle recently then dip it back in, and she's making food with her hands and licking her fingers. Ewwwwww!

Sounds like Paula Dean.

Trusted Contributor

Something that the OP mentioned that was the REAL faux pas was the fact that the cutting board used was wood, and that's a no-no for chicken.
Honored Contributor

I wonder how our grandmothers survived without all the overkill with disinfecting everything!

"Pure Michigan"