Honored Contributor

I saw this last week and the post about Chef Tony made me remember to post it. Ina cut up a chicken on a wooden cutting block. She didn't disinfect it or even rinse it off. Perhaps she did off air, but this was a terrific time to caution people about the dangers of salmonella in chicken. Don't cross contaminate!

Honored Contributor

Re: Barefoot Contessa faux pas

I believe it's pretty much common knowledge, yes?

She could've told everyone not to touch the hot racks in the oven, don't cut your fingers while chopping & don't place metal in a microwave.....but all that, as well as food contamination should be common knowledge.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/8/2015 sidsmom said:

I believe it's pretty much common knowledge, yes?

She could've told everyone not to touch the hot racks in the oven, don't cut your fingers while chopping & don't place metal in a microwave.....but all that, as well as food contamination should be common knowledge.

I agree.

Super Contributor

She's not doing a health show. Chefs always have meat cutting boards and others for fruit and veggies. Even a few minutes spent talking about clean-up is time taken from showing the recipes. When I tune in to a cooking show I have no desire to be lectured to about hygiene.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/8/2015 depglass said:

I saw this last week and the post about Chef Tony made me remember to post it. Ina cut up a chicken on a wooden cutting block. She didn't disinfect it or even rinse it off. Perhaps she did off air, but this was a terrific time to caution people about the dangers of salmonella in chicken. Don't cross contaminate!

I see this all the time. I see it on cooking shows and on QVC. This is not just slicing chicken on a board. I see them pick up raw chicken with their hands, hold the pan handle with the same hand and/or the cooking utensil. Grab a piece of the cooked chicken and sample it. Sometimes use the same fork for the raw food and eat off of it. This is my favorite: pick up the raw chicken with their hand, then grab the faucet with the same hand, press the soap pump and quickly (I mean quickly) wash their hands. It's now all on the faucet handle and the pump.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/8/2015 BlueCollarBabe said:

She's not doing a health show. Chefs always have meat cutting boards and others for fruit and veggies. Even a few minutes spent talking about clean-up is time taken from showing the recipes. When I tune in to a cooking show I have no desire to be lectured to about hygiene.

You don't have to be lectured to, but you should be able to see them practicing safe cooking techniques. People learn by watching and by example.

Esteemed Contributor

I've seen Anne Burrell washing her hands after handling chicken and saying why.

Respected Contributor

While I agree viewers don't need to be lectured, I think it IS a good opportunity to remind people on proper food safety.

And yes, some people pick up on it. There still ARE people out there who may not know it.

It wouldn't take anything to do it RIGHT on the show or say something.

Have to agree with the OP on this one.

Hyacinth

Contributor

Seriously? I am not watching the show to see a cutting board disinfected. As someone said, it is common knowledge. Plus, if she cuts something that is cooked together with the chicken in the same pot it really doesn't matter anyway.

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 gardenmiss said:

Seriously? I am not watching the show to see a cutting board disinfected. As someone said, it is common knowledge. Plus, if she cuts something that is cooked together with the chicken in the same pot it really doesn't matter anyway.

It is not common knowledge for beginners, and that is who Ina cooks for as her recipes are basic.