Esteemed Contributor
I like my bananas with spots, soft but not "mushy". I also buy some green and some with more yellow so that they're not all ripe and to my liking on the same day. I store mine in a crock that also holds my napkins and that sits on my kitchen table.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

We eat quite a few bananas so they usually don't go bad but if I do have one or two that are going too soft I peel them and slice them into approx 1/2" portions and put them in a plastic bag and freeze them.   Once frozen they are perfect to put into the blender along with other fruit for smoothies.

Honored Contributor

Several times when we have bought bananas at two of our local groceries. They have brown spots on the banana when you take the peel off. We stopped buying our bananas at our local grocery. No one would eat them.

But the bananas we buy at Sams never have the bruises when you peel them. They were always in good shape. The trouble is you pay $1.34 and get 8-10 bananas. That is more than we need. 

Honored Contributor

I only buy a few but I learned this "trick" and seems to work.

Leave them "bunched" (together) and cut a small angled cut off the stem about 1/4" -- for some reason it works.

I do it as soon as I get home & store them in wire basket.

Honored Contributor

I seem to have more issues lately with them than I used to.  Even the ones which look fairly green when I buy them turn so quickly.  I am not one who likes an extremely mushy or overly ripe banana and I admit that I do not make banana bread or anything so they get tossed!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs  Yup! sounds like my kitchen , especially in the summer. I feel as though I should eat them coming home from the store Smiley Happy . If you have roses (where I live spring/ summer ) and get sick of banana bread bury them in soil under roses. When I have space in freezer I will freeze the too senior ones in large zip-lock then use as fertilizer in spring.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   Oh in the summer sometimes get the gnat issue with produce and fruit from the store. I always put them in a paper bag, like potatoes and apples, not sure if that is a good thing to do or not lol. 

Might try storing in the Fridge!

Thank you Everyone that has replied. I do really appreciate all replies!Cat Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I eat bananas alot and but only buy 4 or 5--I can eat them up just fine but if i can't and they get too ripe , I freeze them to use in my smoothies. 

Valued Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

We eat quite a few bananas so they usually don't go bad but if I do have one or two that are going too soft I peel them and slice them into approx 1/2" portions and put them in a plastic bag and freeze them.   Once frozen they are perfect to put into the blender along with other fruit for smoothies.

I do the same been buying  quite a lot of bananas,and cut them in half and freeze them for  smoothies instead of ice cubes, I will also freeze strawberries if I have them . New favorite addition  is using  Andrew Lessman Secure Pina Colada and almond milk along with the fruit  makes the best tasting smoothies ,also fills me up.

I also find that if some bananas get too ripe  I make  oatmeal bars ,using over riped  bananas,oats,almond milk,unsweetened applesauce,raisins, cinnamon,vanilla extract,and if I have some  chocolate or vanilla chips throw a few in for an added treat .

Bananas never go to waste in my home.

Honored Contributor

banana pina coladas.......take my word for it!.....replace some of the ice with a frozen banana and blend.

banana pina colada.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein