Respected Contributor

Does hanging your bananas on one of those banana hangers make the bananas last longer?  If any of you have had any experience with one of these, please advise...   I've never used one, but think I need one now...

Esteemed Contributor

DH insists it keeps them fresh longer.  I don't see it.  I think it depends on the bananas themselves.  I find the organic ones last longer.

Honored Contributor

I have one of those things and I faithfully hang the bananas on it.

Does it make them last longer?  I don't think so.  It MIGHT make them ripen all over the same though.

I never eat them before they ripen.

So, follow this (it pertains to bananas....and my brain).  So I got a Snow Cone maker (it just chews up ice).

So, I had some bananas very ripe.  I put two of them in the freezer thinking I could put them in the snow cone maker....

But when I put in all of my creamsickles the bananas fell out.  So I decided to throw them away.

Do you think they'd have worked in the snow cone maker?  I think it would have been a big mess.

But then when I thought about it.  I wouldn't have been able to peel the bananas.

See...that's how weird my brain works.

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB 

No.  A banana is just a big seed pod, and the ripening reflects the developing maturity of the tiny seeds inside.

(Matures faster in warm areas. If I want to speed it up I'll place the bananas on top of the refrigerator, as heat rises.)

The purpose of those hangers is to relieve pressure of the weight of the banana on its self. It mimics their growing position (but it doesn't fool the banana.)

If you lay them on their rounded backs they're likely to bruise from their own weight.

To minimize bruising, I ball up a dish towel in my 'banana basket', and lay them in a single layer over the towel with their rounded backs upward.

Honored Contributor

I've had the stem break off as they ripen and all the bananas fall on the floor.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I buy my bananas green.  This way, they never go bad in my house.  As they ripen, I eat them.  Sometimes, I keep them in the ice box as I love them cold.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge  Good idea with the towel and laying them rounded side up... Never thought of that... Thanks...

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've had the stem break off as they ripen and all the bananas fall on the floor.

Don't want that mess...  Thanks for the info...

Respected Contributor

I don't think I need one now...   Thanks for all the info..

Katie

Contributor

There are 2 schools of thought about refrigerating bananas, and I refrigerate them. I buy bananas that are slightly green and put them in the fridge fruit bin when the reach the color I like. I do like them a bit on the firmer side. In the months I’ve been doing this, I had only one banana that was bruised on the inside. The skins do get a bit ugly, but that doesn’t affect the fruit. My breakfast is an English muffin toasted with peanut  butter and sliced banana. I buy 5 bananas that last 6 days.  My work week 🙂