Esteemed Contributor

Re: šŸŒBanana Bread šŸŒ

@granddi 

I'm with you.  Love baking these things, but my husband isn't a fan of anything sweet, so it is left up to me not to "waste" it.  

When I worked, I could take it in for my office mates, but after retirement, I had to curtail all baking or I'd expand like a biscuit. Cat LOL

I do miss it, however.  Nothing like fresh bread of any kind!

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon hello kitty. If its no trouble. Can I ask you for the recipe? and the way you saId sad looking bananas. It reminded me of years ago at my moms house she had on the basket on the table with stuff in it. And my wife picked up something that was as think as a finger. Black and dried out. She said what is this and my brother said it use to be a banana. My wife said I'm going to have nightmares about this banana. It may sound nasty but I guess it is.

Valued Contributor

Banana Cake

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
1-1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 smashed brown bananas (the riper, the better)
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3/4 cup milk

Preparation:

All mixing must be done by hand with a wooden spoon. Mix all the dry ingredients except flour. Add the eggs, sugar, shortening, vanilla, and milk. Mix thoroughly. Add the smashed bananas and mix. Add the flour, continuing to mix. Grease and flour a 9" x 11" pan. Pour in the batter and bake at 375Ā°F for 25 minutes or until a knife through the center of the cake comes out dry. Cover with powdered sugar, let cool, and cover again with powdered sugar.

Recipe provided by Antonella Nester.

Valued Contributor

Banana Bread
Serves: 1 loaf
Ingredients
  • butter and sugar, for greasing pan
  • 3 very ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • Ā½ cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1Ā½ cups all-purpose flour
  • Ā½ teaspoon baking soda
  • Ā½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Ā½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
  • turbinado sugar, for dusting

Instructions
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350Ā°F. Butter the inside of a 1-pound loaf pan and dust with sugar - shake the pan to cover the bottom and sides with sugar and tap out any excess sugar. Set the pan aside.
  2. Mash the bananas with a fork. Add the eggs, oil and sugar, and mix until well combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients all at once. Mix by hand just until dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet. Do not overmix the batter. Gently fold in the chopped nuts, if using.
  4. Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the top with the turbinado sugar.
  5. Bake at 350ĀŗF for 60 to 75 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
  6. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow the banana bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, remove the banana bread from the pan and cool completely on cooling rack before slicing and serving.

Recipe from Bluejean Chef

Valued Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

If someone has the recipe, can you please share it? The only things I found online refer back to her QVC or QVC Facebook pges, which are gone. I don't belong to Instgram. Thanks for your help.

@Lisa now in AZ 

Are the two recipes above what you were looking for?

Honored Contributor

Should you tire of banana bread, I highly recommend the "Amish Cinnamon Bread" recipe from the December/January 2019 issue of Cook's Country.   

Trusted Contributor

@Reconnaissant@deepwaterdotter  - YES, and thank you so much!!!!!! I was afraid this thread was going to fade away, so thank you so much!!!

Respected Contributor

I would have to do the second recipe, I never buy shortening anymore. 

Someone gave me a bunch of bananas so I should bake something.