Honored Contributor

Bakers - is there a reason this won't work?

I was thinking of using my go-to banana/blueberry muffin recipe, but in a 9x9 pan to make it more like a coffee cake. 

Am I missing something? Is there a reason it won't work?

I'm also planning to add a crumb topping.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Bakers - is there a reason this won't work?

You might have to adjust the baking time 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

My guess - it will work - but will need longer baking time so center of pan gets done. Perhaps temperature set a little higher.  I would check  a cookbook for time & temp on a similar recipe and size.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat  It depends on the amount of batter your recipe makes, you may have to use a 9 x 13 pan.  As long as the batter isn't super high in your 9 x9 it will work.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt @I am still oxox 

I was thinking I'd bake it at 350° rather than 400°.  I guess all I can do is try it and see how it turns out.  I don't want a thick layer of cake, so I'm hoping it will cook all the way through.... lots of crumbs, though... can never have enough crumbs in my opinion.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I must be a timid baker because I have never dared.  Odd what scares one.  Love my muffins because they are single serving size for me.

Honored Contributor

In baking, the batter will double as it rises.  I wouldn't turn the heat up which would cause the top to over brown.  It should work.  Let us know!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Adjust your time and you'll be good.  Look on another mix box to get an idea of the time required for the size pan you are planning to use (assuming the volume of batter is about the same.)

I am the queen of morphing cake mixes into other things, and haven't had a disaster yet.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've done this many times - made a muffin recipe into a cake, or changed a single layer cake recipe into muffins.

A 12-muffin recipe should fit into a 9 inch square or round cake pan. It might fit into an 8  inch square pan - without a topping, or if the muffin recipe makes 9-12 small muffins, not big ones. (And a  round pan holds less than a square one, so using a square pan gives you a bit more leeway.)

I bake almost all cakes at 350 degrees. A single layer takes from 25-35 minutes to bake. Test with a toothpick. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It should work - it works with corn muffin mix.