Honored Contributor

Tonite I opened a package of center cut bone-in pork chops and 🤮🤮🤮they smelled like fish🤷‍♀️

At $5.99/lb I'm definitely returning them tomorrow.

My spouse seems to think it's me since being sick have lost my taste & smell...but, I'm sure they are bad.

I bought on Sunday - kept in fridge & didn't open.  I normally don't buy pork chops so now I'm wondering if it's me🤔.  

From my description, do you think they're bad?

I don't want to look like a dope -- the sell by date is 12/17.   I'm usually not one to return food but $9.76/2 chops ...I actually bought 2 packs which I'm planning on returning too.

thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Bad “pork”🤮🤮🤮

@homedecor1    Can you get an impartial third nose (friend or neighbor) to sniff them?  There should be a packaged date on the label. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you lost your taste and smell, how can you be positive they are bad?  How can you smell them?  Do they look bad?  Your husband thinks they are OK.  

Maybe, you need another opinion.   

Honored Contributor

Never bought any pork that smells like fish?

We always buy the whole pork loin to cut roasts & center cut pork chops from the meat market. It's $4 per lb. 

Honored Contributor

If there is any doubt, I would return the pork chops.  I have purchased meat that was date stamped as good to eat that clearly was not..occasionally it happens.

One Christmas Eve day I bought 4 extra turkey legs to cook with my Christmas turkey dinner.  My family would fight over who would get the legs every year, so I wanted to make extra so everyone would be pleased.

On Christmas morning, I got the legs from the fridge and boy were they gross smelling.  I had to throw them out.

It is better to not eat any meat that you suspect is not fresh...especially poultry and pork.

Honored Contributor

FYI:

I may have "lost" temporarily my smell but I wrapped them in 2 plastic bags to return...holy crow now I know they are bad -- the fridge definitely smells like FISH ..and he smells it now for sure🙄😳

(and we never buy any fish😉)

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

just got my 2nd opinion -- gagged when I opened the fridge🤮

they will go back & @Kachina624 said look for "date packaged" the only date is "sell by".  Definitely not opening the bags I have it wrapped in, for sure😉

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1   Believe yourself!   Last week I bought two packs of center cut pork chops at Aldi with a use by date of 12/14.  I opened one the night after buying them and practically  ran out of the kitchen, rotten meat. 

they were so bad that my DH said we have to seal them with the food saver before we return them. Then I froze them until I could take both packs to the store.

I'm certain you know when something's good or when it's bad. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trust your instinct.....you are discussing a dead animal.  

Respected Contributor

The mere fact that it's questionable to begin with would encourage me to take it back...it will never ''sit right'' on your stomach.  Back it goes.