Respected Contributor

Re: Back to the flour sifter

[ Edited ]

I have some older baking recipes, and they call for sifted flour. In the old days, you were supposed to sift the flour before measuring.

I don't do that, even when using old recipes. Today's flour is presifted before they package it. I just stir the flour to fluff it up, and measure as usual.

I mainly use my sifter to sift lumpy confectioners sugar.

Honored Contributor

Well, I'm getting quite an education here.  I got an A in Home Economics but I can't remember one thing from that class.  I took the basic class in 8th grade, then in 10th grade I took sewing instead of the advanced Home Economics.  Bad move, I don't sew anymore.  Got a lemon of a machine from Sears in my early 20's and they refused to help me fix it.  I also had a problem with a dishwasher from Sears and that ended my association with them for life.  And where are they now?  

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Well, I'm getting quite an education here.  I got an A in Home Economics but I can't remember one thing from that class.  I took the basic class in 8th grade, then in 10th grade I took sewing instead of the advanced Home Economics.  Bad move, I don't sew anymore.  Got a lemon of a machine from Sears in my early 20's and they refused to help me fix it.  I also had a problem with a dishwasher from Sears and that ended my association with them for life.  And where are they now?  

Well that'll teach them to mess with you, @depglass !

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I am not much of a baker but I do not sift flour.  I instead whisk it.