Contributor

BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES- C PRYME??

Last night David and Mark Charles mentioned that Chris Pryme makes the best bread and butter pickles....any idea where I could get her recipe??...is she on Facebook?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES- C PRYME??

I think she is. If not, I would post on David's or Stacy's  page and ask one of them to post it.t. 

Respected Contributor

I can't help you with that BUT I am a huge B&B Pickle lover and the very BEST I've ever found are these from Sonoma Brinery (find at Whole Foods etc). Sweet/Spicy.....wonderful!

Sonoma Brinery Spicy Bread and Butter Pickles

Respected Contributor

I think my Mom made the best B&B pickles ever. They were paper thin and had onions and green peppers thinly sliced in. She passed 4 years ago so no more pickles.She was the best.

Super Contributor

Homemade pickles are always the very best. I've tried many store bought pickles & have been disappointed and end up pitching them.

I may try the Whole Foods brand that is mentioned.

Honored Contributor

My grandmother used to use the end of the season green tomatoes to make what she called bread & butter pickles.  They were so good.

Honored Contributor

I don't have hers but this recipe is supposed to be a vintage recipe from Imperial Sugar's 125th Anniversary Cookbook.

This is a true vintage recipe from the Imperial Sugar 125th anniversary cookbook. Bread and Butter Pickles just like grandma used to make.

Prep time

3:30 to 4:00

Bake/Cook time

0:30

Yield

9 pints

• 4 quarts thinly sliced small to medium cucumbers
  • 8 large white onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 2 quarts crushed or cracked ice
  • 5 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 5 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons mustard seed
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 teaspoon pickling salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric

1. In a large bowl, mix sliced cucumber and onion. Sprinkle 1/2 cup salt over the top and then top everything with ice. Cover with a lid or plate, put a weight on top and let the mixture sit for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Drain and rinse well with cold water.
  2. Put onion and cucumbers into a large pot. Add remaining ingredients, stirring often and bring mixture just to a boil. (Don’t let it continue to boil.)
  3. Pack mixture into hot, sterilized jars leaving a 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath with at least one inch of boiling water over the tops of the jars. Let jars cool on counter until room temperature.
  4. After processing and cooling, jars should be stored four to five weeks to develop their strongest bread and butter flavor. 

NOTE: 1 to 1½-inch in diameter zucchini or yellow summer squash can be substituted for cucumbers.

Respected Contributor

I searched the Hosts & Guests recipes & Chris has posted quite a few but it doesn't include the Bread & Butter pickles. David posted an Icebox recipe for them. I looked for Chris on FB but couldn't find her....hope you get the recipe, Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

Southern Living has had lots of recipes for very good quick ice box and b&b quick pickles so try searching their site.

Trusted Contributor

if you make your own, you must use picling or canning salt.  not table salt.  it turns the pickles mushy