Honored Contributor

BASIC BEGINNINGS: SALAD DRESSING!

I was reading a thread about those box meals and was thinking maybe some of us who cook a lot can help out others with some easy basics that we use frequently to make fast meals.

I never buy salad dressing.  I make it in the blender, in a bowl by hand, or shake it up in a small mason jar.  I might add buttermilk or sour cream or mayo sometimes to change it up, or a tsp or sugar or honey to sweeten it.  Add leftover chicken or beef, or a can of tuna or salmon to greens and veggies  for a complete meal.

I'm sure others have dressing recipes you might share.  These can be for green salads, pasta or grain-based salads, or fruit salads!  Would you be willing to share your favorites and tips?

Ina Garten's is a good place to start.  Vary this with different vinegars (Sherry vinegar is my favorite), lemon juice or lime juice, or other favorite acidic ingredients, or a small amount of sugar, honey or other sweetener.  For Asian throw in a tsp of soy sauce and/or sesame oil.  

Mix the first ingredients then whisk in, blend or shake up the oil.  If by hand, add the oil slowly while whisking or put it in the mason jar and shake shake shake! 

Yield: 6 to 8 servings
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
  • 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup good olive oil
  • Salad greens or mesclun mix for 6 to 8 people
Honored Contributor

Re: BASIC BEGINNINGS: SALAD DRESSING!

I never measure but a basic French dressing is, mayonnaise and ketchup add relish to make it a Russian dressing, you can add a little water to thin it out and any mayo can be used full fat to fat free

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I always make my own salad dressing but I usually make only enough for one night taking into consideration the ingredients in my salad.  I go for a lower oil to vinegar ratio than most recipes call for.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jane Esselstyn's 3-2-1 no-fat dressing is the best & healthy!

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons mustard of choice

1 tablespoon maple syrup

Also, I take no-oil hummus (prepared/homemade) &

just thin it out slightly with water.  Boom, dressing.

Also, I'll take my favorite mango-salsa & thin it out

with plain soy yogurt...ManohMan that's good stuff.

One more....avocado blended w/ a scallion & fruit of choice.

Easy!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

I make this same dressing but I use equal parts of the ingredients.  A little goes a long way.  I like it with dried cherries, diced avocado and topped with toasted slivered almonds and of course lettuce.  

Valued Contributor

I'll put my greens in a bowl, drizzle them with my best olive oil, squeeze a half of a fresh lemon and dust with salt and pepper and then toss.  Then, I'll take a block of really good Parmesan and use my potato peeler to shave off some pieces into the greens...and eat!  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i make a honey mustard dressing. i use to have a recipe. couldnt find it so i just use dijon mustard like 3 table spoons.5 tablespoons honey and like 4 tablespoons rice vinagar. wisk or in blender. enought for once.amounts depends on how strong or weak you like those flavors.i like it better doing it my own way than recipe way.my wife uses store bought. i like mine better.

Honored Contributor

There are probably many sauces that could be made from scratch.  Well not Heinz 57; I don't keep that many ingredients on hand.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all for the good ideas!  I appreciate the responses.

Respected Contributor

Sooner, have you ever tried Ina's warm butternut squash salad? She has a fabulous Apple cider or juice dressing that is to die for! 

I believe the recipe came from her show about re-creating French bistro food.

I think of Apple's as being an Autumn winter food, but I love squash of all varieties and as long as fresh butternut squash is available, I will eat it.

Have a look-see if you get time: I would love to come up with a summer version of the dressing-not that I have any aversion to Apple's!

Poodlepet2