Respected Contributor

I’ve never had much success with various methods to keep an avocado half from browning in the refrigerator until now. You spray/brush a light coating of oil on top and then wrap tightly in foil. I used an olive oil spray and the next day there was no browning whatsoever. I just opened one from two days ago and there was just the slightest bit of browning in one area. I don’t know why I never thought of foil before, that’s how I keep celery crisp.

My other favorite tip is to put an avocado in the refrigerator the moment it feels ripe (I swear there is a 30 minute window) and it will stay perfect for days. Then it will be ripe right when you need it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Avocado tip

[ Edited ]

Another good tip is to put a piece of sliced red onion in a sandwich bag with an already cut avocado.  I recently read about that tip and it works too!

Honored Contributor

I always giggle when I hear that some folks have a HALF avocado left............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I wish I had read these tips about keeping avacados a few days ago. I just threw away two. Darn it! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I always giggle when I hear that some folks have a HALF avocado left............

@Desertdi while I could easily eat the whole thing in one sitting, especially as guac, when I do make guacamole I'll usually try to only eat half of it and then put plastic wrap on the surface to try to help with the browning.  I think it helps some, so maybe spraying a little oil on top will help even more.  However, there are still air pockets that remain which will still brown.

There's a product called GuacLoc I understand works great becasue it squeezes all the air pockets out, but it's kinda big for just one avocado's worth.  I keep hoping they'll make a GuacLoc mini.

Honored Contributor

I haven't had an avocado in months.  Why?  When they come into our markets they are rock hard, so I leave them on the counter for a few days.  Then I check and they are either still rock hard or they have completely spoiled.  I totally agree with that 30 minute window thing.  

Super Contributor

I often have 1/2 avocado on a piece of toast. I put the other half in a small covered dish with 1/2 inch of lemon juice. It stays just fine until I need it again...

Super Contributor

Don’t throw the pit away...keep it in the center of the half you are saving..then wrap and refrigerate....

Respected Contributor

Yes, I forgot to mention that I save the half with the pit in it. I have tried the lemon juice, red onion and never had much success. This was so easy, just make sure the foil is tightly wrapped.

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I haven't had an avocado in months.  Why?  When they come into our markets they are rock hard, so I leave them on the counter for a few days.  Then I check and they are either still rock hard or they have completely spoiled.  I totally agree with that 30 minute window thing.  

—————————————

You do have to be a little committed to get the perfect ripeness LOL. When I have an avocado or two, I leave them out where I see them and remember to give them a squeeze every so often until they start to give. I usually buy them when they are still green/hard so I can get them to the ripeness I want.