Honored Contributor

I was just wondering if you bake the Greek Easter bread for Easter and prepare a traditional Greek Easter meal? I remember our last Easter in Crete, we were invited to a celebration by the Greek Army outside with the roasted lamb, and it was delicious!

Respected Contributor

Hi Hooty,

So nice to read you reply!

Since you lived in Greece for 2 years on the island of Crete and attended Greek Holiday feasts then you are aware Greeks love lamb, goat, and pork, in addition to other meats.

As far as Greek Easter tradition yes Hooty I most certainly do, and I believe all Greeks would do the same since Easter is a very religious high holy event, and Greek Easter Bread is traditionally baked, as well as a whole Greek lamb slowly spit roasted.

Our Greek Easter feast this year on Sunday, April 12th will consist of the following Traditional Greek Easter foods, and we have already sent out invitations for 40 guests.

Meats:

(All meats will be prepared and served on Easter Sunday).

A whole lamb seasoned with Greek spices and slowly turned on a split

A whole Goat also seasoned and turned on a split.

Two Chateaubriand'sWe start the spits quite early and if they are to be hand turned the relatives come to help put the spits together and prepare the meats. Then they sit and converse while taking turns to hand turn the meats, but the 2 Chateaubriands will be placed in the smoker until medium rare.).

Appetizers:

The Greek meatballs and hand rolled stuffed grape leaves can be prepared well in advance and refrigerated. Then reheated or served cold, or at room temperature.

The Greek spreads can also be prepared a few days in advance and then refrigerated so they have a chance to blend with all the spices and then also be served, cold or at room temperature, and if desired the garlic mashed potatoes can also be reheated.

Home made Greek grape leaves rolled with meat and rice filling called Dolmathes

Greek fried meatballs called Keftethes

Greek spreads such as Tzatziki which is a Greek cucumber garlic yogurt spread

Greek Caviar Spread called Taramousalata which is a fish roe spread

Skordalia which is a garlic potato spread

Saganaki which is the Greek flaming cheese, is always prepared at the table with the guests seated.

Two types of Greek Olives, Kalamata and Greek Green olives stuffed with feta cheese

Home made Greek hot pickles and peppers

Sliced Greek Feta cheese, sliced Greek Kasseri cheese

Greek Salads:

Greek villager's salads, both with and without anchovies. (Prepared the same day and served).

Sides:

(All prepared the same day and served hot),

Roasted Greek Lemon Potatoes

Greek buttered rice

Sautéed spinach with garlic

Sliced cooked beets

Refreshments:

Drinks are Greek wines red and white, Beer, for those non drivers, and plenty of Sparkling Water, Iced tea, Lemonade, etc.

Desserts:

Desserts will be numerous and all home made prepared by my Phillip, and myself which will consist of the following:

A few trays of Greek Baklava Cheesecake, Traditional Baklava, Galaktoboureko which is a baked Greek Custard Pie with Syrup, Greek Diples which are a traditional Greek Easter pastry with honey, My beloved deceased Mom's decadent recipes for her Greek Sugar Cookies dusted in the powdered sugar with nuts inside called Kourambiethes, and Greek honey cookies with walnuts called Melomakarona.

I should mention that Phillip and I prepare many of these desserts, and other foods in advance...The cookies can be prepared a week in advance, covered and left out on the table and as they age they taste even better.

Same for the Traditional Baklava and the Greek Diples.

The fried Greek meat balls and the hand rolled grape leaves with rice and meat can all be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated. (These can be served cold, reheated, or at room temperature).

The Greek spreads can also be prepared a few days in advance and refrigerated so the flavors have time to marry before being served. They can also be served reheated, cold or at room temperature.

"BTW Happy Easter to you and yours Hooty, and our Greek Easter is coming soon in April this year".

We are all looking forward to it, and seeing our relatives and friends all gathered together to celebrate our wonderful Greek Easter, and the Resurrection of our Savior Jesus Christ.

Perhaps my traditional Greek Easter menu brings back delicious memories for you since you lived in Crete for a few years?

I wish we had smell and taste o'vision, if we did Hooty, I would express some of everything listed above, to you my friend.

I also posted my menu tonight and hope to read what you are preparing for your Easter feast too{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

Honored Contributor

Oh my, that food sounds wonderful!

So you will celebrate the Orthodox Easter!

My DH loves the lamb, I will only eat it roasted over a pit!

Yes, the Greeks have the right idea about celebrating Easter and I will always remember me days in Greece around Easter!

I wish you a very Happy Easter! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Respected Contributor
On 3/27/2015 Hooty said:

Oh my, that food sounds wonderful!

So you will celebrate the Orthodox Easter!

My DH loves the lamb, I will only eat it roasted over a pit!

Yes, the Greeks have the right idea about celebrating Easter and I will always remember me days in Greece around Easter!

I wish you a very Happy Easter! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I am Greek Orthodox Hooty and will always celebrate the Greek Orthodox Easter.

P.S. We love goat, pig, and lamb slow roasted on a split and hand turned by the men for hours until done to divine perfection, or placed on splits which turn by electric.

We also enjoy those meats roasted in the oven too, with Greek lemon potatoes.

Either way many cultures both here in the USA, as well as globally, love all types of different meats, fowl, and exotic meats sold legally etc., and I believe if you travel Hooty, you have also tasted many of these meats, and enjoyed them.

(I know your time spent living abroad for 2 years in Crete, Greece was most enjoyable, and the meals and various meats prepared there were, and still are exceptionally delicious).

I sent you my best wishes for a lovely Easter too, for you and your family.....Enjoy my friend, and blessings also sent your way{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.