Respected Contributor

Re: Attention Curtis Stone Durapan Fans

This is an FYI to anyone who bought the steamer insert. I just used it tonight, but not as a steamer. I was making pasta and usually use a colander that has a very shallow base. I have gotten tired of having to pour just a little of the pasta pot at a time into the collander so it'll go down the drain without becoming a pool that the base of the colander is sitting in (I hope that makes sense). It's a hot, heavy pot and the slow pour is a pain.

Steamer insert to the rescue. I upended it so the perforated bottom was face up and put it in the sink (it just fit), put the colander on top, and poured out the pasta in one fell swoop. No problem. I guess any steamer with a flat bottom would work, but I think this is the only one I have.

I've also found some silicone handles on Amazon by JAZ Innovations that I think will work for the Multipurpose Pan and lid. They're black and currently $12.99 for a pack of three.

I'm going to get some fresh corn and chives soon to make corn chowder and test out my new Curtis Stone herb scissors. Corn is 10/$2 in my neck of the woods these days.

Found an interesting recipe for a white gazpacho with almonds that I'll try when it gets really hot.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe I should have gotten this instead of the Green pans. Can you do bacon in it? Is it the healthy non stick on the inside that won't flake off? I Googled and Groupon has a deal on one.

I'd love if it doesn't discolor from the heat like the Calphalon.I've seen him on HSN and I developed a bit of an obsession with that drying rack. It was on special the last time he was on. Was tempted to get it.

I'm not a good cook at all, I had to start cooking for my Mom two years ago and I still cook for her. So I don't know that much about cookware.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@momtochloe I should have gotten this instead of the Green pans. Can you do bacon in it? Is it the healthy non stick on the inside that won't flake off? I Googled and Groupon has a deal on one.

I'd love if it doesn't discolor from the heat like the Calphalon.I've seen him on HSN and I developed a bit of an obsession with that drying rack. It was on special the last time he was on. Was tempted to get it.

I'm not a good cook at all, I had to start cooking for my Mom two years ago and I still cook for her. So I don't know that much about cookware.

@Greeneyedlady21 I truly cannot recommend CS pans enough.  I just cooked a chili sauce marinated chicken breast (bought from the store as I am not much of a cook myself) and it came out fantastic, nicely browned and caramelized and still very moist on the inside and the clean up was a breeze.  It heats up quickly and has excellent heat distribution.

I know how it goes as as my mom's health declined I stepped in to cook for her and I was terrified.  I think maybe we are being hard on ourselves as I know I will never be the cook that my mom was but on the bright side I also never gave anyone food poisoning . . . Smiley Happy

If I could also recommend something else, if Evine ever has a special for one of their Flip Pans I just love mine.  Again easy clean up but I find it really helps to keep meat very moist.  I think I use mine virtually every day as I no longer have a microwave so I throw a lot of frozen things in there (dinners, veggies, etc) and it cooks them beautifully.  They are terrific if you are cooking for one or two people.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you and good on you my friend for lending your mom a helping hand! Heart

Honored Contributor

Sorry @Greeneyedlady21 I was so busy blabbing I didn't answer your original question!  Bacon comes out beautifully in his pans and I truly cannot imagine his coating coming off.  Ceramic technology has come a long way and it shows in his pans . . . and don't get me started on that drying rack, I so want one but just can't justify the purchase . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe Thanks so much. She loves BLT sandwiches, in pita bread because she has to watch her blood sugar. 

I feel like an idiot for getting the green pans, just goes to show that even at Costco everything isn't a good deal. I think  I'll suggest to my Mom that we return them.

I would buy you the drying rack just for being so nice.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@momtochloe Thanks so much. She loves BLT sandwiches, in pita bread because she has to watch her blood sugar. 

I feel like an idiot for getting the green pans, just goes to show that even at Costco everything isn't a good deal. I think  I'll suggest to my Mom that we return them.

I would buy you the drying rack just for being so nice.

Oh goodness @Greeneyedlady21 you are so kind as I felt like I was stalking you for a bit through those couple of threads . . . Smiley Happy

Sigh, I love me some Costco but I got burned badly on an enamel cast iron pot by Rachael Ray from them.  I barely used it and yet the enamel was flaking off the bottom just terribly . . . I should have taken it back but it didn't dawn on me at the time so that is why I steer clear of shall we say "designer" products from them now.  I would purchase their own private labeled cookware as I have never seen a negative review for them but I do worry they are going down the same path as QVC in terms of maybe buying up/making a great deal on older merchandise like those Green Pans.

Have a good day my friend!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I just started buying  Curtis Stone cookware a few months ago and I love it.  Clean-up is a breeze.  Best cookware I've owned and I have had several including two sets of Cooks Essentials plus some of their individual pieces.  I bought a drying rack on Amazon and it looks the same, but I would think Curtis' would be better.  About the same price too.  I hadn't seen his before my purchase.  I use it every day.  My L n L and some other items don't dry completely so I put them on the rack.  Afraid to use mine as a trivet because not sure it is made the same as Curtis'.   I highly recommend his cookware.  His cookie sheets are the best I've ever used too.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe and anyone else..What is the difference between the Dura Pan and the Dura Diamond pans? I was just on HSN site, they have a stainless dura diamond five piece set $50 off. There's a five piece set in colors that's just Dura Pan. I am in love with the turquoise 💖 If the pan in colors is just as good I would like that. It's cleaning the stainless as well, polishing. I like the deep pan in the color set too, rather than the stock pot. Have a stock pot and never use it.

Then I thought I would really like the fry pan lid, and the lid rest. I am in trouble. But I trust you ladies, you are giving the real skinny about these.  He says use wood, silicone, or nylon utensils. Can you use plastic?

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@momtochloe and anyone else..What is the difference between the Dura Pan and the Dura Diamond pans? I was just on HSN site, they have a stainless dura diamond five piece set $50 off. There's a five piece set in colors that's just Dura Pan. I am in love with the turquoise 💖 If the pan in colors is just as good I would like that. It's cleaning the stainless as well, polishing. I like the deep pan in the color set too, rather than the stock pot. Have a stock pot and never use it.

Then I thought I would really like the fry pan lid, and the lid rest. I am in trouble. But I trust you ladies, you are giving the real skinny about these.  He says use wood, silicone, or nylon utensils. Can you use plastic?

@Greeneyedlady21 to be honest I don't know but @noodleann posted a great explaination earlier in this thread (as I have his original cookware I wasn't paying a ton of attention as to what improved this new set).  I agree with noodleann, his original set is terrific so this new and improved version can only be better!

In terms of utensils I am old school.  I never use metal unless it is a SS pot/pan and yes I would think plastic would be fine unless it is on a very high heat.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe Thanks, I read @noodleann s post. My Mom is a picky eater, we basically rotate the things she likes. Plus she manages diabetes with diet so that makes choices limited as well. I'm an even worse picky eater. So for our purposes we often use a toaster oven. Got a nice Cuisinart and it works well. She can have thin crust pizza, that gives me a break from cooking. 

She has cabinets full of stuff that's never used. I just want a few high quality basic pieces that will last. Would love to toss or donate the rest. She always wants to hold on to everything. I don't know what the heck I would use that turquoise deep pan for- I think he called it a sauteuse (wth).  I don't saute veggies, she just loves them cooked in water the old fashioned way.