Honored Contributor

Re: Artificial Sweetners

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee    Pyure sounds like it's the same thing as Splenda.  What's the difference except packaging?

Splenda and Splenda Naturals are not the same. Splenda Naturals has the same ingredients as Pyure...erythritol + stevia.  Plain Splenda is sucralose.

@Kachina624 

Honored Contributor

I'm not familiar with these other products, but have always just used the regular Splenda.

Honored Contributor

Many people say that stevia sweetener is not artificial b/c it comes from a plant vs something made in a lab. But the reality of it is that the stevia plant is subjected to lab extraction of it's sweet stuff and that in and of itself makes it artificial by definition. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo - The effects of an individual artificial sweetener may depend on your personal palate. For example, I'm allergic to Splenda/sucralose, and even though it has less of an aftertaste than many artificial sweeteners, I can detect it fairly easily in products because my body has become used to avoiding it. However, my sister who struggles with some blood sugar issues swears by Splenda, so perhaps that could work for you as well.

Because of my allergy, I've tried just about every sweetener out there, and I've never found one that I can tolerate as an everyday replacement for sugar. In my case, each of them has a different aftertaste and some are more pronounced than others, but they all are unpleasant for me. As a result, I just limit my overall sugar intake so I can really enjoy the flavors of sweets when I allow myself to indulge.

(On a related note, if you're looking to cut back on artificial sweeteners in general, you may be surprised at how many food products include them unnecessarily; even after years of checking labels, I'm still shocked at times to see where they show up. And if you're interested in diet sodas, be aware that virtually every brand on the market uses *multiple* artificial sweeteners.)

Trusted Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo, I have recently switched to a keto eating plan and just yesterday I had to finally organize all my sweeteners and flour alternatives. I have found that erythritol, which is in so many sweeteners, has a weird taste. I have started using Allulose and a new one called PureCane, which is made from sugar cane, but has something in it that removes all the bad stuff. I think it also has some erythtritol or stevia in it, but the taste is awesome. I just made a sugar free pecan pie and some pumpkin bars using it, and am looking forward to enjoying them tomorrow. Good luck! When I first started, I bought every single sugar that was mentioned in a recipe, but now I try to sub either Allulose or Pure Cane when I can. Monk fruit is also used a lot, and you can get Monk fruit with allulose and Monk fruit with erythritol blend. And, I have BochaSweet, which is supposed to be a good one for making low carb ice cream. 

Honored Contributor

If you're looking for a brown sugar replacement, I like golden monk fruit. I also like Allulose in my baking.  Be careful of those bulked up stevia sweeteners. Regular stevia leaf powder measures in very tiny amounts.  Some companies will bulk up the stevia to make it measure like sugar.  Those products usually contain maltodextrin, which has the worst glycemic index of any food ingredient.  

Respected Contributor

I like the Monk Fruit that I get at Costco.

Honored Contributor

PLEASE PLEASE do not "surprise" people with food or drink that contains artificial sweeteners in them!  

Most I have ever tried give me an almost instant and debilitating migraine headache.  I know a lot of others like this too.  

People sometimes don't tell you until "surprise!" and you're thinking yep, I already knew because I can barely see you now. . . 

Honored Contributor

Re: Artificial Sweetners

[ Edited ]

* Stevia In The Raw

* Monk Fruit In The Raw

* Whole Earth Stevia & Monk Fruit Blend

* raw honey

I like to add a bit of raw honey to the powder to give my tea some richness.

Plus it's great for your immune system and it's helpful for coughs.

Respected Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo wrote:

Can anyone recommend a artificial sweetner that does not have an overpowering artificial taste.  I just tried Swerve brown sugar formula, and it is horrible.  Don't know if I'll get the aftertaste out of my mouth.  Blood sugar is elevated, so I'm looking for alternatives for cooking and daily use.

TIA

Equal, I use it in all my cooking and tea, you wouldn't know it wasn't sugar. No after taste at all.