Honored Contributor

Are you still reading the labels on the food that tells the breakdown of the food?

I do check pretty often to see how much sugar, and carbs and protein is in something I'm buying.  I do see new products fairly often and now & then for a break we'll try something new. If it's too much of say sugar, or the salt content is too high then we'll pass it up.

You still reading and checking things out?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you still reading the labels on the food that tells the breakdown of the food?

Yes I read every label and most often gasp out loud at how much sodium/sugar etc, that one little can of soup contains. Then I put it back and walk away. I had surgery a few weeks back and decided to buy some frozen entrees just in case and omg-----they tasted wretched and were so full of junk, I still can't believe I bought them. I did throw most of them away--so gross and NEVER again!!!. I cook from scratch and have for 30 some years.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you still reading the labels on the food that tells the breakdown of the food?

Nope!!

I make sure there are no artificial sweeteners in any new item but I am not going to change the way I have eaten all these years. My health is excellent so I eat what I love.

Honored Contributor

always have and do now

constantly amazed by what I see in other's carts too, and it's not a surprise as to the state of the nation's health

Honored Contributor

Yes, absolutely.  As a diabetic I have to know how many sugars, carbs and fat (cholesterol) is in an item..... for me it's a daily numbers game.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

I check sodium and I also use the tip I was taught to divide the total carbs by 4 and that tells me the number of teaspoons of sugar in each serving. WOW…that one tip really opened my eyes to things I thought were really healthy but was really just sugar…like raisins and orange juice.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, but I've been reading labels for years, so it's nothing new for me.  And yes, I often put something back on the shelf after looking at the label.  The amount of salt or sugar is usually what makes me put it back. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Yes, I do read the labels. 

Sometimes it can be scary! 

I am disappointed in the amount of sodium in foods and the amount of foods that have soy.

Honored Contributor

Rarely.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, though I don't purchase much that has a long list of ingredients. I avoid highly processed foods & that helps. Unprocessed/low processed foods are pretty simplE in the breakdown of macros.

Even things that we might think would not have added ingredients often do. There are lots of ingredients that make me decide not to purchase something.