Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you fussy about eggs?

@Deonnagrrl  I am down to four chickens.  They are six years old,  geriatric by chicken standards.  I love my chickens and are strictly pets, they use to lay eggs but only one of my girlies still lays an egg.  My chickens names are Boss tumbleweed, Big red, Little Whitie and Little blackie.  They are free range during the day but are shut up in their coop at night, we have too many predatory animals around that would get one of my chickens.

Honored Contributor

I grew up eating farm fresh eggs but have no special interest in them one way or the other.   I am allergic to egg whites, and pretty much only eat eggs as an ingredient in a recipe.   An egg is just an egg to me.

Respected Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@Deonnagrrl  I am down to four chickens.  They are six years old,  geriatric by chicken standards.  I love my chickens and are strictly pets, they use to lay eggs but only one of my girlies still lays an egg.  My chickens names are Boss tumbleweed, Big red, Little Whitie and Little blackie.  They are free range during the day but are shut up in their coop at night, we have too many predatory animals around that would get one of my chickens.

You are so lucky to be able to have chickens.   Where we live we are not zoned for chickens and we have raccoons who occasionally visit our yard.    I would be heartbroken if an animal killed a chicken that I owned.  

Your chickens are very lucky to have such a kind and diligent owner.    They have such cute names too.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I only buy organic, free-range eggs.  I care about how the chickens are treated and you only have to look once at the appalling conditions battery hens are kept in to never want to support any of those big conglomerates again.  That's if you have a heart.

I like to eat eggs, but not at the expense of the inhumane treatment of the poultry, for the sake of the almighty God of profit.

Also, ask yourself how many recalls and cases of salmonella outbreaks have been as a result of the battery henhouses.  To answer the quesion:  yes, I am very fussy about eggs.

Honored Contributor

i prefer to buy jumbo eggs OR eggs from sellers at a farmers market.

occasionally i will buy the brown eggs from sams club.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I won't buy farm eggs, as these often are fertilized.  I once opened one with a dead chick inside and it took me 6 months to eat another egg.  This obviously was an egg that was hidden by a hen and found much later.

Honored Contributor

@depglass,

I definitely agree about the unpleasant surprises often  found in farm fresh eggs!

Esteemed Contributor

I ate and enjoyed eggs all the time while growing up.  But they had to be well done...nothing runny!  Then one day, I found eggs revolting.  I could not take a single bite. So I have not eaten an egg for the last twenty years!!

Respected Contributor

@Venezia 

I agree 100%.