Honored Contributor

Re: Are you fussy about eggs?

I buy from a local farmer. Yes there's a difference. The difference is in the nutrition you get from free range eggs from a local farmer vs store bought eggs from chickens that are caged & fed corn, soy etc.

Respected Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

I buy Certified Humane only.

Yes, I buy Nellie's. 
“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I also buy eggs at Trader Joe's.   I don't go to Farmer's Markets and no one nearby sells eggs.  

Respected Contributor

We buy the grocery store eggs at the grocery store.  Works fine for us.

Honored Contributor

I buy whatever eggs are on sale.  

Honored Contributor

We buy eggs (cage free and organic and other combinations) that are excellent at Natural Grocers!  They are $1.99 to $3.99 for members of their rewards program.  They limit to 4 cartons a day I think.  The quality is excellent and we usually get Jumbo.

We will also buy Eggland's best too if we are at a regular grocery store.

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@house_cat I have noticed the difference in eggs. The cheap price eggs don't come out fluffy when I make scrambled eggs . I 've been buying EB eggs and placing  about 1/4 tsp. of margarine in the eggs while I beat them. No other liquid. And they come out as my Dad called them like the look of popcorn. And a great flavor even without salt or pepper.And very nice and fluffy. And they claim they are healthier. But no eggs should be used as dunking eggs, with the yolk under cooked.

Would you please explain this? Do you mean like sunny side up or over easy so you can dip your toast in the yolk? 

Don't tell me I can no longer do this. I love my eggs this way!Man Frustrated

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Forgot to mention (and I think I've mentioned this before) Free Range and Cage Free are not the same thing.  You must buy Free Range!!

Thank you so much for posting this information.   They definitely are not the same.

I only buy Vital Farms Eggs from Pasture Raised Chickens.  

They are expensive but how the chickens are treated is very important to me.   I also think the eggs definitely taste better.

Trusted Contributor

We buy Eggland’s Best.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lived on a farm with free range chickens and recall the eggs being delicious and as a little girl my chore was to gather them , so it made them special to me.

Now though I am a skeptic toward all organic items and wonder if one would be ripped off . Pesticides and pollution doesn't stop at a boundary line. I know it depends on the company and who is selling whether guidlines are followed. . I do fine with the regular eggs though . We use a lot of eggs and I do not want to pay the higher prices of some. I do purchase cage free etc. if there is a good sale.