Honored Contributor

Re: Are you an organized cook ?

Organized.

I have lists and menus and almost never run out of anything in the kitchen. 

I have limited time for cooking during the week, and even though I keep weeknight meals simple, it's not unusual for me to be prepping something at 5 am. 

When I'm hosting larger gatherings, like Thanksgiving, everything that can be prepped or chopped ahead of time is organized in L&L containers with masking tape notes on top.

I have an anxiety disorder, since childhood. It has been explained to me that people with anxiety tend to be hyper-organized and prepared.  I tend to be that way in all aspects of my life, not only in the kitchen.  I actually wish I was less so.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I check my recipe and write the list.  Luckily, I rarely get caught short.

During holidays when I'll cook for 4 or 5 hours, DH will do my prep work as far as the chopping of onions, celery, etc.

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut

I pretty much do the same thing you do. I always clean as I go.

DH is just the opposite. Looks like a disaster hit when he's cooking.

Honored Contributor

I like to think I'm organized.  I take out everything I need and as things are used, they get put away.  Little to no cleanup when I'm done.

Respected Contributor

For a new recipe I prep everything ahead otherwise I plow through.  I manage to be organized most of the time even in the midst of chaos just by zeroing in on the immediate focus in front of me and somehow I can keep 4 to 6 operations going at the same time but the kitchen and I will look kind of wild.  The last time this happened I was making dinner and dog food at the same time, trying to not get the two confused.  LOL.

Respected Contributor

my wife is very organized when doing anything. she even knows what shes cooking for dinner months before.i load dishwasher so she still puts dishes she uses neatly in sink. now when i cook or bake everything is a mess. i clean up after im done.

Frequent Contributor

I am organized.  I cook pretty often and I like to have everything out measured and ready to go.  If I don't clean as I go or I get flustered and lose my mojo!  

When I try a new recipe and I have to actually pay attention I am messier.  But if I like the new recipe I am more organized the second time.  Does that make sense?

Respected Contributor

@CoffeeNut: I thought I was (super) organized, but apparently, I'm not as organized as you. Smiley Tongue  I never thought about measuring everything out before starting the recipe. Think I'm going to do that in the future.  

Honored Contributor

My kitten wants me to add that he's not happy with my fussiness in the kitchen. He waits patiently for food to drop, but he's mostly disappointed.

IMG_9673.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Very Unorganized. Hope to do better Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller