Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you a "snob" about certain kitchen items?

No, I wouldn't say so, but others might.  I don't know.  I enjoy cooking and I love the kitchen, but the things I have, just have to "work" for me, on many levels.

The joy in it is that I have one. 

I almost fell for a ridiculously overpriced fridge just because it was "pretty".  I couldn't justify it.  The 30 year old hotpoint with the "teak" Scan look handles is plenty "cool".

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I was struck with nostalgia to read about the references to Cutco cutlery! My dad used to sell it on the side in the 1960s and we, of course, had a set in our house. I think some of the knife edges had "Double D Grind" on them? Anyway, when dad passed a couple of years ago, I "inherited" the set of steak knives and they are as good as they ever were. My brother and sister each have a full set of Cutco. Maybe it's time I got mine! Woman LOL

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

LOL, I'm not at all.   I have things that are very cheap to very expensive in my kitchen.  It depends on what I'm doing as to which gadget I use.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Yes. I don't like convenience mixes and packages.  If that makes me a snob, so be it. But I don't like cake mixes and, esp since the packaging was reduced so much, I'll just make my own cakes. My in-laws used to be able to tell when I used any kind of mix (my MIL is/was an excellent baker and cook and she never used any mixes at all). Since I couldn't boil water when I married her son, she took me under her wing and taught me how to make pie crusts, how to knead bread, how to do so many things. I think she was afraid her son would starve otherwise. So I grew up that way after I got married. I prefer to cook and bake from scratch. It's just what I do.

I have All-Clad. But I also have some Tramontina, which is actually pretty good stuff. Cook's Illustrated rated it very highly a few years ago. My knives are Shun, wih a few Rada paring knives thrown in...I do like Rada paring knives and they're not at all expensive.

I prefer my own Pyrex casseroles over pretty much anything on the market today, with the exception of Fiesta. I have a lot of Fiesta and just love it, both  for the appearance and for the way the casseroles bake.  

We all have our ways of cooking and handling our kitchens.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

house_cat:

A few days ago, I posted about using vinegar on your LeCreuset to get rid of stains. 

Now that you have said the stain is associated with scorched popcorn,  have you tried putting some water in the pot to boil for a while and see if that helps?

I wouldn't give up. 

And by the way, I also use that liquid BarKeeper's Friend (which contains a citric-based acid, I believe) to get rid of stains, as a previous poster  suggested.  I'd try that , too.

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I have been called a snob most of my life.  I will not apologize for choosing higher standards.  

To answer house_cat's question:  I disapprove of polyester food and those who serve it to their loved ones. 

I couldn't agree more with regard to me in the kitchen.  Cooking and baking from scratch requires patience, smarts, the best ingredients and the best possible cookware one can afford.  These are my higher standards - my snobbery, if you will.  I call doing it the best I'm able given current resources.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I learned a long time ago that with very few exceptions, you get what you pay for...that said, I LOVE kitchen stuff...

I will never forget my son telling me, after his wife's 11year old nephew and they had eaten dinner at my house, "wow, your Mom has EVERYTHING!"  To which my son replied,"no, she has TWO of everything!"....

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

I have been called a snob most of my life.  I will not apologize for choosing higher standards.  

To answer house_cat's question:  I disapprove of polyester food and those who serve it to their loved ones. 

I couldn't agree more with regard to me in the kitchen.  Cooking and baking from scratch requires patience, smarts, the best ingredients and the best possible cookware one can afford.  These are my higher standards - my snobbery, if you will.  I call doing it the best I'm able given current resources.

I have had an interest in cooking since around the age of 6. The first two things I learned was the importance of mise en place (but didn’t learn the name for it until several decades later) and that the end result can only be as good as the ingredients that went into it. Decades later, I learned “garbage in, garbage out” for data entry on my first computer. It’s the same principle.

I laughingly tell my DH I’m too vain to serve subpar food, but admit to y’all it’s the absolute truth. I have too much pride to slapdash something together and call it a meal. When I announce, “Dinner is ready,” I want people to be glad to hear it.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't use any other mixer but my Kitchenaid. I got a Mixmaster as a shower gift 35 yrs ago and my baking wasn't anything to brag about. Since using the Kitchenaid.....I get lots of compliments...

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Yes & it's also plastic ware.  I cringe every time I see my sister put leftovers into an old margarine tub.

To break that down even further, I only use the plastic storage containers (mostly Lock-n-Lock) to store dry foods such as pasta, grains, beans, flours, etc.  I store & reheat leftovers in glass storage containers.

Buy that girl a set of Lock & Lock for Christmas. 

Not a chance.  Her income is much higher than mine.  She can buy her own.