Respected Contributor

Re: Are you a "snob" about certain kitchen items?

Was pressured into buying Cutco (sp?) Knives that high school kids sell. Bought a small cheese knife for $65 and large for $130...I know crazy. These are my most prize possessions in the kitchen! They are the best, still can't believe the price but I do LOVE them....wish I could afford more. 

Honored Contributor

@3cupcakes wrote:

house cat, have you tried "bar keeper's friend" cleaner on the stain on your le creuset piece?  

It has taken out stains I could not get out using the le creuset  cleaner &  can be used on many surfaces w/out damaging them.  

i prefer the liquid to the powder & can always find it at bed, bath, beyond.

hope this helps.

I've never heard of it, but I'll look for it ASAP.

Thank you for the recommendation.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes for certain items. I love my Kitchenaid products, pampered chef, caphalon and other items. Most of them are years old and still going strong. As far as cooking and baking I always buy the best ingredients.

My kitchen as this is my "therapy" --

Id like to think it's cheaper than real therapy sessions but in retrospect probably NOT because I buy only the best -- it will hopefully last me a 1/2 lifetime!!!

Valued Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

Surfk,

How do you like your Viking?  I've had mine 10 years, while I do love the look there are a few little things I would have expected better quality.

@kitty60 I have a 60-inch dual-fuel range and love it. No real problems although I had been warned that if one doesn't install a dedicated surge protector, some people have had problems with power blow outs. Or even with power surges that can cause the burners to go nuts.

But fortunately, that was something I researched and my installer made certain was in place. Its a huge professional unit so such should be expected to draw lots more power than a more conventional range.

They weren't necessarily built with a house in mind. But well, we worked around that little problem. Its, of course, way too much stove or oven much of the time. But when there is a party or something is catered, one wonders how people do it without a range the size of small power boat. lol

I think its the same thing that happens when someone says they don't "need" a huge house...and then a year later, they don't know HOW they ever could have lived without 18 bedrooms. You kinda grow into it without even trying. lol

Honored Contributor

What's a "kitchen"?  I'm not sure we have one in our house!  Woman Wink

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd say I'm particular, not a snob.  I've worked for years in kitchens and all chefs have at least a few treasured pieces of equipment that are actually super inexpensive/ no name but they get the job done.  In my experience, people who spend tons of money on exclusive designer kitchens often don't use (or know how to use) the things inside them.  Expensive doesn't always equal good, and I prefer simple Japanese knives to all those expensive European brands anyways.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, snob here.  I am super fussy about quality and design.  I am  even worse about the origin of product and materials they are made of.  I would say off hand, 90% of my stuff is USA mde the rest are from France, Italy, New Zealand, Thailand. Many of my kitchen utensils, and such are vintage Made in the USA. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

What's a "kitchen"?  I'm not sure we have one in our house!  Woman Wink

Its that room from which people keep emerging, eating a sandwich.

(And here you thought all this time that there was a Quiznos out that door). Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I LOVE my Cutco, and over time, the company has been pretty decent to my knives and me, so no complaints.

I will be buying myself a pair of the red kitchen shears one of these days.

Forgive me when I tell you all that Cutco Kitchen Shears are definitely a "CUT ABOVE" (groan) any other general purchase scissors I could find. Love 'em!

Honored Contributor

I never gave it a thought but I guess I am a kitchen snob. I only use my Lock & Locks, nothing else compares. I only will use my All Clad cookware, again, nothing else compares. My Cutco knives are all I use. I feel I've earned being the snob that I am since I've been cooking for over half a century. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"