Honored Contributor

Are you a "snob" about certain kitchen items?

I use the word "snob" lightheartedly.  My SIL always called herself a "cake snob". She would never eat cakes except from the nicest bakeries in NYC and where she lives in East Hampton on Long Island.  She passed up many a birthday cake, made by me, but I didn't feel hurt. It's just the way she is.

I'm a plasticware snob. In addition, I've become a Lock and Lock addict. When I see someone using old Cool Whip containers or Chinese take-out containers for food storage, I cringe.  Sure, I could do that, but I get such delight out of my pretty ones.

Are you a "snob" about some kind of food or kitchenware?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a "snob" about certain kitchen items?

I have an almost visceral reaction to anything that is Le Creuset.

Many years ago I bought some lovely things at TJ Maxx and at Amazon when they had their Black Friday deals.  I have been very happy with them and their performance but I still get that twitch when I see one of their products.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Good knives.  I'm a fan of Wustoff and have some Sabatiers I inherited from my MIL.

I spent too much money on cheapie knives over the years before I learned the difference. Smiley Wink

Denise
Honored Contributor

I guess it could be called that, that I will always pay more for quality.  That spans over many categories of products and services. 

More often than not, you get what you pay for.  So, I do have a lot of products that are higher priced with higher quality and customer service.

I won't pay more just to pay more - like I won't buy a computer from a shopping network and pay the hideously high prices when I can get more quality product for much less money.   I'm not easily duped and am big on research.

I used to be one of those people who said 'I won't pay more than $100 for a vacuum clearner'.  Man, I wouldn't want to count up how many of those I had to buy over years!  Certainly a LOT more than the amount of money I could spend for one or two great quality machines that will last many many years!

I know this is tongue-in-cheek, and I like that.  Smiley Happy   But I have been actually called a snob on some things by people who didn't seem to understand the concept of paying for much higher quality and service.   I just SMH and go on, because they may get it at some point or they may not, but I cannot live their lives for them. 

Respected Contributor

I have been called a snob most of my life.  I will not apologize for choosing higher standards.  

To answer house_cat's question:  I disapprove of polyester food and those who serve it to their loved ones. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

I love high-end items in my kitchen. I only wish I could afford most of them. You USUALLY get what you pay for, and I believe that we need more kitchen electrics to be made in America again.

I just got a set of Katana series  Calphalon knives...they are beautiful.

Respected Contributor

i am a coffee snob.  i always admit up-front to that.  i hardly drink coffee outside the home unless it is starbuck's.    i will do without rather than put up with weak coffee.  

Honored Contributor

Yes I am, also with plastic ware.  I do keep one cool whip bowl available though for my tractor trailer driving daughter to take homemade cake or cookies on the road with her.   She needs her goodies in a container that won't get mashed in her backpack, but prefers something she doesn't have to keep up with and bring back home.   I also insist on having quality cookware and bakeware----no cheap quality cake pans, muffin tins, etc.   I prefer all of my Corning, Fire King, and Pyrex dishes to anything else that is available for purchase today.   

Valued Contributor

Quality lasts. I have All-Clad cookware which I swear they'll find it in a hole one day in 2468 and someone will still be able to use it.

I have a Kitchenaid handmixer which has out-lived two dogs.

I still crank out a pretty dang incredible orange chiffon cake from my Kitchenaid stand mixer. Its been my power buddy for decades now.

(I bought it as a child cake prodigy, of course). Smiley Happy

I require great knives since cheap knives only kill.

And while I like sliced tomatoes, I am not willing to die for them.

I have great oil container/dispensers. Solid stainless with locked lids and long necks...they're my pets when I do all my olive-oiling (generally always kept to the kitchen). lol

I have a couple of Le Creuset dutch oven pieces. They are the only way to make a proper cassoulet. And they look so nice on my open shelves.

But my big snobbery came in as I had to have a Viking stove. That was a huge splurge but I don't regret the inve$$$$$tment for a moment. I LOVE cooking on it.

Respected Contributor

Yes & it's also plastic ware.  I cringe every time I see my sister put leftovers into an old margarine tub.

To break that down even further, I only use the plastic storage containers (mostly Lock-n-Lock) to store dry foods such as pasta, grains, beans, flours, etc.  I store & reheat leftovers in glass storage containers.