Trusted Contributor

Are there certain colors you choose?

Hi,

Yesterday I was choosing a Vitamix TSV color,  deciding which I'd like to purchase for someone.  They wouldn't care about color.

I wondered why do we choose the colors we do...

-color theme, if they have one?

-choose what they like more whether it matches anything else?

-go with neutral- black, white,, gray, etc., ?

Do you do any of these, and what color do you choose?

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Trusted Contributor

Re: Are there certain colors you choose?

Whatever strikes my fancy at the time of purchase. 

I do have colors that I like or dislike. But, I  like some of my least favorite colors when juxtaposed with other colors. 

Honored Contributor

Yes .... for kitchen appliances my first choice is always red.

Honored Contributor

I always choose red for the kitchen. Red is my favorite color ! 🍎🍅🍉🍓

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If the gadget or appliance will be left out on the counter a lot, I definitely choose colors that coordinate with my kitchen. But with things like Lock & Lock, although I mainly have the clear because I've been collecting it for so long, and that makes me more likely to continue buying clear to match, I sometimes branch out and choose colors that just seem pretty at the moment since they'll be tucked away—such as my recent purchases of the opal and amethyst colors in the new glass pieces.

ETA: Cobalt blue is always my first choice, followed by Granny Smith apple green. But if the pieces are for holiday entertaining, I go with "foodie red" to coordinate with all my red stoneware (mainly Temp-tations polka dot and snowflake from back in the day).

Respected Contributor

Most of my kitchen appliances are black or stainless steel. I tend to lean towards color when choosing pots and pans...I like burgundy and copper colors. The only exception would be my lock & lock bowls...I have a rainbow of colors but like the clear, yellow, copper, and purple colors the most.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @skittles2 !    Yes, long ago I was researching the psychological impact of colors. I read that at some deeply subtle level, we are drawn to, and feel most comfortable/least aroused around those that are most flattering to our own natural colouring.

Now, we can and do override that all the time. Our most comfortable colours to let our eyes gaze upon may not be our favorites, or the most exciting, dramatic ones that put some zippp into our day.

I'm real sensitive to certain colors, to the point of becoming ill/nauseated if I look long enough at warm light pink aka "blush", or warm light blues &warm aquas. The blush colour makes me feel ill almost immediately.

At one time I worked in a medical facility that had rooms alternately painted in pale shades of yellow, peach, blue, and green. I always felt bad in the blue rooms and had to get out of there as fast as I could. It was a warm blue.

Years later I learned why those rooms made me uneasy and want to get out.

Esteemed Contributor

Just a thought about kitchens.

Red is an exciting, provocative colour.  Many restaurants use red on the wallpaper, tablecloths, napkins, menus, and other accents because it stimulates us, including our appetites, and we order more and eat faster.

Blue had the reverse effect. When I'm trying to knock off a few pounds I get out my 8" blue plate and use my blue towel as a tablecloth of sorts. Looking at cool medium blue as I eat helps me slow down and not keep eating past that 'full' signal.

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge - I have also studied about color and its effects, and you're totally right that even though our brains are naturally drawn to or repulsed by certain colors in certain contexts, we can easily override the traditional approach if we choose to. For example, because I love blue so much, seeing my food on a blue plate or surrounded by accessories in that color makes me feel happy, so it may encourage me to eat even more than I might have planned to in some cases. And although I generally like red, if there's too much of it in a restaurant, it can often make me feel like the environment is aggressive and put me on edge, which makes me enjoy my food less and therefore eat less. The brain is such an interesting little trickster...  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I like white.