Trusted Contributor

Re: Are there baking/cooking brands to which you are loyal, despite the price?

I do allow myself Penzy's, after all that touted it here...........I use all purpose flour, and have not noticed a difference in off brand from name brand.....I have found that I use Publix brand of coconut in my baking for my dad, and he mentions if something is off, if I use, say, Walmart brand..........so in his words and expressions, back to Publix brand, I go......Baking soda, sugar, brown sugar, and such.....no issues......I do not use cake mix brands........so can not answer..I will only use Campbell's soups.......to eat.......and am specific to my Mayo, as only Blue Plate or Hellman's only.......and as a mayo freak, will not differ..and yes I have tried..........{#emotions_dlg.huh} I get sticker shock every day that I ever go to a grocery store, and understand the high prices, but still will never understand how any person feels that fast food vs home food, if even from a box, is cheaper, or more nutritional than cooked at home.........When I was growing up, fast food was not a choice, and the only treat was from the Tastee Freeze, for an ice cream only...............{#emotions_dlg.w00t} (dipped in butterscotch for me)

Winn Dixie went belly up in middle and north GA, and Kroger was the main grocery chain, and some Winn Dixie's were in South GA, and Harvey's was main stay in South GA, and now, all of Harvey's is now Winn Dixie, but just around where I live, where Harvey's hailed from, stayed Harvey's, just to try to fool the older generation, but on your bank statement it is Winn Dixie, and Publix has moved in (thank goodness) to compete............{#emotions_dlg.tt1} Yeah, some brands are inferior, and produce inferior products.............Wink

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

Land O Lakes butter - There is definitely a difference in most of what I bake. I also will not buy any brand other than Crisco for Shortening and oil. I have also noticed a difference when using generic/store brands of flour so I only buy name brands. I will only use Toll House chocolate chips and Jiff peanut butter for baking and eating. I also use good vanilla and not just grocery store stuff.

Regular Contributor

Gold Medal flour, C&H sugar, Imperial margerine, Toll House chips, Calumet baking powder, Arm & Hammer baking soda, local farmer eggs, Mexican vanilla and Penzeys spices. Whenever I substitute, I almost always end up disappointed. Now I'm hungry for something homemade...
Honored Contributor

I almost always use Penzey's spices, King Arthur flour, Philly cream cheese.

My taste in ice cream has gone very boutique - I just buy from local small batch manufacturers.

And all my beef comes from a local farmer - it's all grass fed and free range...same with bacon and other pork products.

Trusted Contributor

King Arthur flour, Domino sugars, Ghirardelli baking chips, Crisco shortening, Land O Lakes or Keller's butter, Trader Joe's olive oils, Penzey's spices (only Penzey), my own vanilla or Penzey's Double Strength Vanilla. No substitutions for these products.

ETA: White Lily flour for biscuits and quick breads. I come from PA, so whenever we get south of the Mason-Dixon line, I buy enough to see me through til the next time. And whenever guests from down south visit with us, they always bring me bags of White Lily.

Valued Contributor

I'm becoming less and less loyal as price rise but there are a few thing that I refuse to economize on. Well, judging by this list, maybe more than just a few...lol.

Progresso Italian Breadcrumbs

Tuttorosso Tomato Sauce or Crushed Tomatoes. The only thing that would cause me to buy a different brand is if I'm buying San Marzano tomatoes.

Premio Sausages

Land O Lakes Half and Half

Tasters Choice Coffee

Sweet n Low

Ronzoni Pasta (although a good sale on a store brand might cause me to fall off the wagon)

Ghiradelli Brownie Mix

Skippy Peanut Butter

Boars Head Cold Cuts

Arnold or Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Bread

Hellman's Mayo

Nabisco Crackers

Cheerios

Windex cleaner

Chlorox Cleanup

Palmolive Dish Detergent

I'm sure there's more but that's all for now.

Maria

Honored Contributor

Heinz Ketchup

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

King Arthur Flour, Kerrygold Butter, Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Vanilla Extract, and Viva Paper Towels.

Esteemed Contributor

White Lily flour.

I get all my poultry, pork and beef from local farms. They are not injected with hormones or antibiotics. The chickens and turkeys are wonderful, their skin is white, not yellow. The taste is such a huge difference. The beef is also grass fed. We usually buy a half of a cow and get that cut down. On rare occasions we will buy meat at Fresh Market but I haven't bought meat at a grocery store other that FM in years.

We usually get Irish butter.

I also bought a set of All Clad a couple of years ago and I love it. It really is worth the price because it last forever. It was several thousand but I know I will have it for a long long time. I also like Le Creuset, I have about 10 or 11 pieces of that. It is really heavy though, that is the only down side. It still looks new and 2 of those pieces my mom gave me that she got in the 60's and you really cannot tell.

Bounty paper towels, Cottonelle toilet paper, Dawn, Tide or Kirkland brand detergent. I do like a lot of Kirkland brand stuff. Heinz ketchup, Open Pit BBQ sauce, Webers Mustard and Sahlens hot dogs.

I will use generics of things though. Many generics are produced by the leading companies and just packaged for the stores they are going to, they are the same exact thing. I buy generic drugs like Tylenol, Benadryl, Aleve, and stuff like that. I see no difference at all.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I am brand specific with many products regardless of the price.