Valued Contributor

Are all ceramic skillets bad?

[ Edited ]

I bought a Lorena Garcia skillet set, ceramic lining.At first, the pan I used was stick free, easy to clean. As I continued using it, it lost that feature, and in fact, began getting stained and impossible to clean to like-new. I'm going to go to Ross and TJ Maxx to look for a new skillet. Should I stay away from ceramic? Are all brands like this?

Valued Contributor

Re: Are all ceramic skillets bad?

@LisaMofSLC - I have had the same experience with one of the Walah! grill pans QVC sold a few years ago.  Great at first and now difficult to use.  Personally, I probably will not get another ceramic lined pan.  Most of my non-stick (the dark kind) are still doing ok.  I look for ones that are NSF certified.  

Honored Contributor

Yep.  Glad I didn't buy into the Copper Chef craze.  I still have traditional Hard Anodized nonstick pans I have been using for years.  Only had to finally replace one of them and I chose Curtis Stone for that.  So far so good.

Esteemed Contributor

My ceremic pieces has instructions to re-season the skillets. 

I have the Cooks Companion from Evine and I love it!

Esteemed Contributor

They take more care than I realized. This article was an eye opener.

https://healthy-cookware.com/take-care-of-your-ceramic-coated-cookware/

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC  I have a set of Lorna Garcia cookware too.  A couple of pieces are slightly stained on the inside, but they still work well.  May I suggest you try Curtis Stone cookware from HSN.  His line is much better.  I read here he has a TS in a couple of weeks.  I much prefer his over the Lorna G. pieces I have even though they are better than some other cookware--especially those I purchased at Ross, etc.  Some of those from Ross, Marshalls, etc.  are the colors I like, but do not hold up.

Valued Contributor

Thans for your replies. I bought a Todd English pan, the taller side, square one with vented lid. I love it but when I don't cook alot, I would like a lower side skillet. Yes, I wondered if the copper pans were any good but read reviews of them pealing or chipping. 

Frequent Contributor

I went for ceramic because it was "healthier" but it only has turned into a pain.  I bought a nonstick cast aluminum pan from Cooks Essentials and love it.  I am slowly switching back to nonstick.