Honored Contributor

Re: Are You a Mezzetta Fan? Peppers and Olives OH MY!

I currently have Mezzetta pepperoncinis in my fridge.  Lately my olive of choice is the big jar of Tasso Kalamata olives from Costco.  I'm also a fan of thr Castelveltrano green olives.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties My mom and I used to love Olive loaf, which was basically a slice of bologna with a few olive slices.  THEN we discovered you could put mayo on the bread, slice an olive to stick on then there's olive in every bite!

It works with a ham sandwich too!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Love peppers and pickles, but my system absolutely will not accept an olive.  

As a child, I tried so hard to eat as many olives as my cousin, but would get sick before I could chew and swallow the second one.  More than 60 years later my body still reacts immediately, so olives and mushrooms remain high on my list of food intolerances.   

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@4kitties My mom and I used to love Olive loaf, which was basically a slice of bologna with a few olive slices.  THEN we discovered you could put mayo on the bread, slice an olive to stick on then there's olive in every bite!

It works with a ham sandwich too!  Woman Wink

Oh I cannot believe I have never thought of that!  Mr. 4kitties loves olives too.  I just bought him some Boar's Head Olive Loaf last week.  

My mother in law used to make turkey salad with left over turkey chopped and then mixed with Mayo and chopped olives.  

I may just get some bologna on my next grocery run and try it with olives!  Thanks for the tip!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I love all olives but my big passion this summer is Peppdews cut in quarters in pasta salad.  

Super Contributor

@Sooner I have been wanting to thank you for this Mezzetta thread.  I first read your thread when you originally started it, and I immediately had to check out the Mezzetta website. I have since ordered directly from Mezzetta a couple of times.  To save on shipping costs, I may ask my grocery store if they can order a case of a couple of Mezzetta products for me that they don't carry in the store.

I tried for the first time the Mild Chicago Style Giardiniera Sandwich Mix and it is very good.  My mom likes it too,  It has oil in it which contributes a nice mellow flavor and texture.  They also have a hot version which I got for my husband.  Mezzetta has a new item in oil that looks yummy, it is called Italian Olive Salad & Sandwich Spread.

I discovered that in the stores the Mezzetta products might not be all in one place - some items are located in the jarred peppers and olives area and some are located in the canned beans area.  Mezzetta makes some yummy Italian Bean Salads in oil in jars that I discovered on their website and have since seen sold where canned beans are sold in the stores.

Anyway, just wanted to say Thank You!

Honored Contributor

@QVCisFun How nice of you to let me know, and I am delighted to be of help!  They do have so many good prodoucts and some of them sure aren't available around here!

We love several items, like the one you mentioned, in pasta salads.  We've been making that for at least 25 years I'm sure!  LOL!!

Lots of fun stuff to try on their web site!  

Super Contributor

@Sooner We'll have to try it in a pasta salad sometime, and in other things.  Sometimes I mix some in mashed potatoes on my plate.

The way I usually have the giardiniera is in a cheese sandwich - on a slice of whole wheat bread with yellow mustard (sometimes I add more than one kind of mustard), a slice of cheese (usually Muenster or Sharp Cheddar), some giardiniera, mild banana pepper rings, roasted peppers and then fold the bread over.  If I had more items to add to the sandwich (for example their basil pesto, any of their artichoke hearts in oil, their new Italian Olive Salad), I'd try those in the sandwich too.  The sandwiches are good with a glass of orange juice on the side (I like Florida's Natural, made in the USA) - it's a nice sweet and salty combination.