Trusted Contributor

Re: Are You Using Your "Good Stuff" More Often?

@nana59 wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

I use all of it!  As my husband, always, said:  Caskets do not come with drawers!  I use my silver service every single day and yes, I put it in the dishwasher!  By using it every single day, it does not have to be polished, maybe once a year at the most. I had a silverware insert made to fit my largest kitchen drawer and accommodate my silverware service (12) and serving pieces.  I have three full sets of China which I use as well and these go in the dishwasher as well.  I want to get the pleasure out of using them and all the memories of family and meals we enjoyed starting with my grandmother.  If they break, they break but the pleasure I receive from them is beyond price.

my husband says a hearse doesn't pull a u-haul!!

@nana59  That is so funny, I can't stop chuckling.

Respected Contributor

No.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely!! My aunts and mother left tons of new and like new things that they were saving for later.  My husband and I talked about this issue and decided that we will go ahead and use our "good" stuff now.  We have a "special" dinner at least once a month complete with Waterford crystal and Lenox Autumn china.  We also use the good silver and cloth napkins.  My son and grands are not interested in keeping that "stuff" and I see sets and sets of fine china in thrift stores for practically the price of a dinner plate in the old days.  Also wearing my fine jewelry and good shoes whenever I want to.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

We have a birthday to celebrate tomorrow!  My "baby" will be 40!!!

Every family dinner the Apple or (now) Ivy Franciscan sets come out and my heavy weight stainless which was bought by the piece.

I do a more formal dinner not only for the family, but I want my grandsons to go in a resturant and be able to handle anything, and not be like "a fish out of water".

I do have too many Christmas plates because family dynamics changed.

Respected Contributor

One of my best friends died 11 years ago from breast cancer.  Her husband cried and cried, why did she not wear the “good jewelry” the good lingerie, the good clothes more often.  After that I use what I buy, use the good stuff, and enjoy it every day.  I don’t have expensive china or silverware, but it made me think long and hard.  Yes, I have too much stuff, but I do enjoy and use what I have.  Not saving the good purses, good jewelry, good stuff for another day.  

Respected Contributor

Oh my, I am the absolute worst at this. I can't even express to you how crazy I am when it comes to not using the good stuff...looney tunes! And I really don't know where this kind of thinking came from. BUT, starting right here and now I'm going to try and do better. So many of you have made such great points and I'm going to keep them foremost in my mind...and get out the good stuff!!!!! 

Honored Contributor

No my mother only used only the "good" stuff on special occasions.

Most things I have are used everyday.  I stopped the "formal table" years ago, dressy clothing, etc.  & donated those things.  

My life is "casual" consisting of shorts, capris, tops and my main dress is swimsuit/coverup most of everyday.  

Respected Contributor

I started using my sterling silver flatware and Waterford crystal everyday about 40 years ago.  Yes, I've lost a few pieces and broken a wine glass to two but I decided it made no sense to sit in a cabinet 99% of the time.  No regrets.  

Trusted Contributor

After my Brother in law died unexpectedly at a very early age, I took out all my "Good stuff" that I was saving for special occasions.  Every day is special.  Use it now.  I was so glad I did.  This was 25 years ago and have been using it ever since.

Trusted Contributor

I don't use my good china and flatware as much as I should. Only for company, which is seldom. I know I should use it, but it's just a habit from years gone by when we registered for expensive china, silver, and glassware at time of our wedding 50+ years ago. I also have my mom's china/silver and pieces from my grandmother. I know none of my kids are interested in having any of it. People live completely differently today. Even the donation sites don't want it. I'll just keep it, and when I'm gone my kids can throw it away. Shame.....china is Rosenthal banquet set for 24 purchased by my dad over in Germany at end of WWll and shipped back to states without any breakage.