Honored Contributor

Re: Are You Using Your "Good Stuff" More Often?

[ Edited ]

I never understood those who save anything 'for good'. It hardly ever...if ever got used. We gave an elderly relative a lovely Irish sweater about 5-7 years ago. She has yet to wear it once. When we have asked her about it, she says the same thing...it's too nice to wear and she is saving it 'for good'.

It seems to be a term/belief mainly used by women. When I was growing up, several of my relatives were like this. I understand particulars when it comes to like a fancy dress for special ocassions, but not most of one's wardrobe.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

I use all of it!  As my husband, always, said:  Caskets do not come with drawers!  I use my silver service every single day and yes, I put it in the dishwasher!  By using it every single day, it does not have to be polished, maybe once a year at the most. I had a silverware insert made to fit my largest kitchen drawer and accommodate my silverware service (12) and serving pieces.  I have three full sets of China which I use as well and these go in the dishwasher as well.  I want to get the pleasure out of using them and all the memories of family and meals we enjoyed starting with my grandmother.  If they break, they break but the pleasure I receive from them is beyond price.

my husband says a hearse doesn't pull a u-haul!!

@nana59  I just fell on the floor...hysterical.

We always said you can only wear one outfit in the coffin and fit so much stuff in it with you.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 ................I say there are no saddle bags on the casket.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Frequent Contributor

There are no pockets in the shroud!

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

I use all of it!  As my husband, always, said:  Caskets do not come with drawers!  I use my silver service every single day and yes, I put it in the dishwasher!  By using it every single day, it does not have to be polished, maybe once a year at the most. I had a silverware insert made to fit my largest kitchen drawer and accommodate my silverware service (12) and serving pieces.  I have three full sets of China which I use as well and these go in the dishwasher as well.  I want to get the pleasure out of using them and all the memories of family and meals we enjoyed starting with my grandmother.  If they break, they break but the pleasure I receive from them is beyond price.

my husband says a hearse doesn't pull a u-haul!!

@nana59 LOL!!!  And tell him I said it doesn't go through the ATM either.  

Respected Contributor

My dad taught me there is no such thing as saving things for when company comes, meaning good stuff.

He said use your things for your own enjoyment and pleasure. It will make you happy to see and use them because that is what they are there for.

Stuff and good stuff will remain after people are gone and unfortunately those people never would have known the enjoyment of it because it was being saved for others. 

I have always used all my things and never regretted it.

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen Thanks!  I need to hear what you just said to reinformce my efforts!   

Honored Contributor

My china cabinet and buffet are filled with beautiful china, crystal and silverware. All preserved from our former lifestyle.

We no longer have large dinners for birthdays, special events and holidays. We would have a big event at our house often. We bought an extra large dining room table to try and fit as many people as possible. And have service for at least 12 in the china settings, crystal and flatware.

Our relatives and many friends are still not attempting to eat outside of their homes. So I expect another year of no gatherings at our house or anyone elses.

Would like to get rid of much of the stuff. But as you said no one wants it. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have any silver flatware, which is fine as I would not want to take care of that.  ha!   Lazy.  Plus, and even for jewelry, I'm really not at all a silver girl.

I did have china many years ago but I gave it all away to a young couple who really liked it.   I liked it.  It was a gift from my brother decades ago, and it really was pretty.  But I have no need for it and was glad that it found a good home with people who would cherish and enjoy it.  

I do have a habit of keeping nicer things locked away so that nothing happens to them, especially if they are irreplaceable.   I'm kind of lame like that.  It doesn't make all that much sense, even to me, as you need to enjoy your things and that's part of having things you enjoy.

Respected Contributor

This reminds me of how my husband will receive a new piece of clothing (nothing fancy - it could be a new pair of jeans or a t-shirt to replace the old ones) and he will put it away and say I’m saving it for “good”.   I told him he needs to wear it now because he might die before something “good” comes up!  He finally got the picture. 😁