Respected Contributor

Re: Are You Baking Your Valentine's Dessert?

Baking?  Buying?  What's that?

I better have dinner at a restaurant where I am presented with a sophisticated and yummy dessert prepared by a master pastry chef!

BTW, for those who feel that DH is not measuring up--take charge of the day!

Make the dinner reservation, pick out the card you want for him to sign, and buy a pretty bouquet, box of chocolates, or sparkly piece of jewelry for him to gift to you.

Life is too short to not enjoy every celebration to the fullest--even if it is a DIY!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think valentines has got way out of hand.  I think many people feel obligated or shamed into doing something when they would rather share a bowl of popcorn and watch tv.

i think the effort in making cupcakes, brownies and treats is a good one.  My husband has never, ever gotten me a card or gift, but he does want to go to our favorite sushi place.  Last few years we order sushi take out and eat at home because it is so crowded

we are party poopers, lol.

Honored Contributor

Nah, we don't celebrate St Valentine's Day.  I am not into forced celebrations.

My husband is good to me everyday.  I appreciate all he does for me.

Trusted Contributor

I will be baking DH's favorite dessert-brownies from scratch  with walnuts.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm making a homemade from scratch cherry chip cake. I found the recipe on FB. Delish!

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I'll be lucky if my husband acknowledges the day with anything ... a card, dinner, flowers, candy is a long gone thing.  I can't remember if he ever gave me a single thing.  He gave my daughter flowers once a long long time ago and I think he did it just to be mean to me.

It doesn't sound like a happy union. Smiley Sad 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  I'm with you.  DH and I never bothered with Valentines Day.  We did for each other all year and we knew the other appreciated it.

Valentines day is pushed by florists, candy companies, restaurants etc. to make money, period.

I would rather have gotten flowers on a random day of the week, and I did, not because Telefloral told my DH to do it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We love all Holidays. Usually go out to eat the weekend before or after, not the actual Valentine’s Day. I love flowers but my cat would eat them. My husband would come home with them all the time until the kitties arrived. Edited to add, not baking any desserts. I don’t care for sweets.

Honored Contributor

I make dessert type stuff so seldom because he needs to not be eating sugar.  Well, I suppose we all need to not be eating (refined) sugar, but most of us can in moderation.

About the only one I make these days is the once or twice a year pumpkin pie.  I use about 2/3 Splenda and 1/3 sugar, still cutting back the amount a bit from the recipe, so he can have a piece of pie with a bit less to worry about.

We don't do much anymore.  We exchange cards and he usually puts at least $100 in mine.   Before anybody thinks that's tacky or lazy - it's the best gift I can get!   I don't need more 'stuff' at this point and I just add those to my hundred dollar bill collection for now.  Smiley Happy  Best thing I ever collected!  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to bake @Kachina624 's maraschino cherry cake recipe, but it's too much cake for the 2 of us. I gave the recipe to my neice instead and she's going to make it Thursday eve for her hungry hubby and teenage sons! I'll save the recipe for a family get-together, and will instead make some oatmeal raisin cookies for DH and me.